They should do away with the slots

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

They should do away with the slots

Post by sporty »

I wish many packs and even BSA. Would just do away with the slots in the wood.

It would be much easier for people to drill a better axle whole, even if it was for stock wheel base. Then to use slots.

They chip, crack, break and real alignment nightmare for any family new into scouts for there first year. Or even thru out the ranks as a cub scouts.

Sporty
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: They should do away with the slots

Post by rpcarpe »

My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

It might be easier for the top builders. But teams that are doing well to just build the car need somewhere to put the axles, whether that's pre-cut slots or pre-drilled holes.
j.m.
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by j.m. »

I would never use the slots after the first 2 builds, but for those 2 builds, we didn't have a good way to drill the holes. Just like many single mothers out there. If there were no place to put the axles, the car would never get built. I know how dissapointing the slots are for us who have advanced beyond them, but for those with practically no tools, it at least gives them a better chance to participate. I just think that packs should do away with the rule of requiring to use the slots.
idpwdnut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by idpwdnut »

My first thought was you bet, all for it. But after thinking about it, I think it would be tougher for first time or casual builders to not have slots. A new builder would have to get a drill press with some way to drill repeatable holes or get a Pro Body Tool/Jig and a hand drill. Some may wonder why they have to buy tools that they are not going to use for more that one purpose.

I know for most of us on DT, it is not unusual to own the speciality tools and woodworking tools to build a car. And most of us probably use woodworking tools for other projects. But in our modern time of high tech electronics, woodworking tools are not as common, and the skills to use them are leaving. Someone may even own a hand drill but for them, it does not translate to drilling axle holes.

One could say that they could come to workshops, but not all groups have that option available or the time to travel to it.

I dislike the slots and if faced with the choosed of two races where one only allows the use of slots, and one allows me to drill holes, I going to go with the drilled holes. A new builder who does not have the slot option, may elect not to participate at all.

No if you mean do away with the slot rules, then absolutely on board with you.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Sporty,

Now this is a good topic!

Like you said useing the slots are an alignment nightmare.
And if one of these slots happens to brake while in a race.
There is only so much you can do to fix it at that time anyway.
Glue it back on or in the slot, Or drill a hole for the axel.

Like you I wish the BSA would offer a kit with the slots and the
drilled axel holes.
And see how that change gos over with the kid's & parents.
Like you I do belive there will be much more to gane from bouth.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

idpwdnut wrote:A new builder would have to get a drill press with some way to drill repeatable holes or get a Pro Body Tool/Jig and a hand drill.
Or cut their own slots? The car shape still must be cut out with some kind of saw blade (I can't imagine a Cub whittling a car, and hopefully no one is trying to shape a block using sandpaper only!). So a saw seems needed regardless. I presume that cutting slots requires a simple miter box, which is not expensive or hard to find.

If there were no slots, perhaps more Packs would hold workshops, even if that involved just little more than sharing saws and miter boxes.
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

whodathunkit wrote:Sporty,
drilled axel holes.
With the concern about the "squareness" of the slots, you would really trust mass drilled holes??? :mrgreen:
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

3 Cub Dad wrote:
whodathunkit wrote:Sporty,
drilled axel holes.
With the concern about the "squareness" of the slots, you would really trust mass drilled holes??? :mrgreen:

Well, after 12 years of seeing slot cars and how bad the kids and dads are at, trying to put axles in the them and tilted cars and of what a mess.

i think even a poorly drilled whole, would be better than what I have seen as the average over the years.

At least more cars would finish the track.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

My comment has something to do with the topic. Our rules require that you can see the axels for inspection. Not having the right tools I bought a block with drilled axel holes but made an ever so slight cut above them so you could look down into them. Had to use a knife on the low front hole to expose that drill path.

Any other ways to have the benefits of a drilled hole and still see the axel?
Noskills :paperbag:
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

How much of the axle needs to be visible for inspection?

I've heard of people drilling axle holes, and then drilling larger inspection holes from the bottom, so the tips of the axles are visible for inspection. (The tips show that you're using the nails that came with the kit, rather than using machined pins.)
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Darin,
The rules dont say. I think the idea of drilling holes. Our pack uses district rules but I think our pack is very laid back about the details. We did not have a district final this year due to some costs so I have not had a chance to find out the details on the rules. Tiger dad newbie here :D
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

From what you describe, you should be fine. But you may want to call and check with race coordinator.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.