Derby Wheel Neckerchief Slides

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Derby Wheel Neckerchief Slides

Post by drathbun »

In this topic I put out a request for unused old style wheels. The weekend before our derby my oldest boy (who is a second year Webelos cub) said he wanted to do an Arrow of Light project, much like you need to do a project for Eagle. After tossing around a few ideas, we came up with the idea of making neckerchief slides out of unused Pinewood Derby wheels for all of the boys in the back. The only problem was, we didn't have enough wheels. Of course I could buy some, but I posted in the "buy / sell / trade" forum and 5kidsracing came through with a package of 61 wheels that he wasn't using! Thanks so much, we could not have done it without you.

I had some 1/2" PVC pipe from another project. We marked it in 1" intervals and then used the drill press to drill the holes. We did some testing; the newer style wheels with the coned hubs required a 17/64 drill bit, and the bigger hubs on the older wheels took a 9/32 drill bit. We were really careful to count and drill exactly the number of holes by size that we needed, or so I thought. Turns out that we had one wrong and I had to go back and drill one smaller hole out with the larger bit. Here's the results after our drilling and cutting on the PVC pipe. The two boxes are sorted into new versus old style wheels.

In the original topic (linked above) someone else posted some pictures of what was essentially the same idea we had, but their implementation was much better looking. They had checkerboard pattern on the PVC slide, and they had painted the wheel letters. We intended to do the painted letters, but with me being out of town for a conference and the Derby coming up that Saturday, we unfortunately didn't get a chance to do that. In any case, here's what our final product looked like:

And from the back / inside:

We did not bother to trim back the hub, as I felt like it would help the slide stay up better. We talked about it, but in our testing it went on fine and seemed to hold well, so we decided to leave the hub intact.

Next, the glue. We tried basic craft glue, and that didn't hold. We tried some Elmer's style glue, and that didn't hold well enough. In the other topic epoxy was mentioned, but before we tried that I got the idea to try PVC cement. We're gluing PVC pipe to another piece of plastic, so it seemed like a good idea. That way we didn't have to worry about mixing epoxy which would also save us some time. We made five prototypes and checked the glue an hour later, and they were good. That meant we were ready to go into mass production. :)

I applied the cement to the inside of the wheel:

Daniel then was responsible for making sure the wheel was turned upright, so that the BSA letters would be at the top of the slide, and then he pressed the PVC pipe down into the wheel, making sure that it contacted the cement.

We did discover that PVC cement would melt the wheels! :eek: We were getting a bit careless, trying to work faster, and I dripped some of the cement onto the side of a wheel. When I tried to wipe it off, it left divots in the wheel! After that we made sure not to let the cement come into contact with the outside of the wheel.

Here is a very proud Daniel with his box of completed neckerchief slides. We handed out one to each scout in the pack as they came to pick up their car from the garage at the end of the race. Because we did not have all of the cubs show up with cars, he had enough left over to give one to each of the scout leaders. Not only that, but we host the Derby for a smaller pack in our area that doesn't have their own track, and he even had enough so that all of their boys went home with a Derby tie slide as well!

So thanks again to 5kidsracing for providing the extra wheels. This was a fun project, and I am extremely proud of Daniel for coming up with the idea and carrying it through.
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Derby Wheel Neckerchief Slides

Post by ciodude »

Way to go Daniel! Are there any leftovers?
Last edited by ciodude on Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

Very nice and creative!

Great Job.
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by drathbun »

ciodude wrote:Way to go Daniel! Are there any leftovers?
There are a few left, yes. I'm not sure what he was planning to do with them.
5kidsracing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 5kidsracing »

What an awesome project for you and Daniel and they turned out great! I am sure you are very proud of Daniel for taking the initiative to take on an Arrow of Light project like this... Looks like with your help he is well on his way to authentic manhood.

I am glad I could help.
For my "Pinewood Story" go to: http://5kidsracing.webs.com/index.htm
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by drathbun »

5kids, your participation also provided a discussion point for the good things that can happen with people you meet on the Internet. Daniel is 10 (younger brother is 9) and they've both been exposed to the Internet at school, of course. We've been trying to talk to them about how dangerous the web can be, but it can also be an incredible resource for good things as well. So if your ears were burning the other night, it's because we were talking about you.

All in a good way, of course. :)
DerbyDash
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyDash »

My son and I have had a lot of fun with the Pinewood Derby and been pretty successful at it too (we're going for Pack Champion four years in a row on Saturday). Much of the success has been trying to learn from all the experts on this site.

We decided to give back and absolutely "stole" this idea. We have made 75 of these slides and will be giving them out to the pack as he'll cross over to Boy Scouts next month. We hope that the pack members will use them at future pwd's!!

Although not too many post from us, we were always lurking to see what "secrets" we could find here. Thanks for everyone who shares their knowledge with all of us who come here trying to find out what we did wrong or how to go faster.

I always ask my son every year whether he wanted to make a cool looking car or try to go fast...it's always been "let's try for fast"!! :lol: