2012 Derby Status Report

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

2012 Derby Status Report

Post by Darin McGrew »

I just got home from my 25th derby. Yep, it's been that long.

In the All Comers class (only 7 cars), I took 2nd in design and 3rd in speed (which was my first speed award). My car was a father–son camping trip: father and son figures sitting on a log while their foil dinners cooked on the campfire. The flickering LED campfire worked very nicely. So did the Crayola Model Magic (a lightweight modeling compound), which I used to make the log and their backpacks. The figures were modified plastic "cowboy" figures; this is my third car to use those plastic "cowboys & Indians" sets that I bought years ago.

We had a small group this year, only 40 cars total. On the plus side, we didn't have to rush, and still finished early.

I need to show someone else how the track and accessories go back in the box. Maybe I'll climb into the attic tomorrow and photograph how everything is arranged.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: 2012 Derby Status Report

Post by whodathunkit »

Darin McGrew wrote:I just got home from my 25th derby. Yep, it's been that long.
Darin, Congrats on that 25th derby.
Darin McGrew wrote: I took 2nd in design and 3rd in speed (which was my first speed award).
:clap: :bigups:
Darin McGrew wrote: My car was a father–son camping trip: father and son figures sitting on a log while their foil dinners cooked on the campfire. The flickering LED campfire worked very nicely. So did the Crayola Model Magic (a lightweight modeling compound), which I used to make the log and their backpacks. The figures were modified plastic "cowboy" figures; this is my third car to use those plastic "cowboys & Indians" sets that I bought years ago.
Now thats a car I (wood) like to see a photo of Darin.
I also like a good campfire song. ;)

Mark.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

Congratulations Darin! :bigups:
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by drathbun »

Darin McGrew wrote:So did the Crayola Model Magic (a lightweight modeling compound), which I used to make the log and their backpacks.
We used some of that to make whipped cream on the banana split car. Did you like how it worked? Did you paint yours, or do anything special to cure (harden) it other than let it sit out?
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

Congrats on the awards.
Darin McGrew wrote:I took 2nd in design
Based on some of your past designs past designs I am surprised you got 2nd place. What did the 1st place car look like?
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

drathbun wrote:
Darin McGrew wrote:So did the Crayola Model Magic (a lightweight modeling compound), which I used to make the log and their backpacks.
We used some of that to make whipped cream on the banana split car. Did you like how it worked? Did you paint yours, or do anything special to cure (harden) it other than let it sit out?
I did paint it. And even though it says not to put it in the oven, I put it in the oven set to "warm" (about 150° F) with the door propped open a bit, because I didn't leave enough time to let it air dry.

But it worked well for generally rounded shapes (the log, the "internal frame" backpacks, and the sleeping bags), and it was light (which was important because I was having a tough time keeping it under the 142g weight limit. It turns out that 9V batteries are rather heavy...
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Offtopic...
Darin McGrew wrote:It turns out that 9V batteries are rather heavy...
For future reference, you might try lithium batteries. They are more expensive, but tend to be much lighter -- usually the lightest batteries one can buy. (They also have an incredibly long shelf life.)
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

BallBoy wrote:What did the 1st place car look like?
The first place All Comers design was based on Isaiah 44:16–17. It showed a figure bowing to an idol he had made from half of a log (the hammer, chisel, and paint were still in front of him), while holding a sausage over a fire made from the other half of the log. The third place All Comers design was based on the real-life Topsy Turvy School Bus.

It was obvious to me that the 3 of us would win the design awards, but I had no idea who would win which award.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

congrats!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by drathbun »

Where are the pictures? ;)