its like goin to the club and seeing the same people

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
dirtjoedirt
Pine Head
Pine Head

its like goin to the club and seeing the same people

Post by dirtjoedirt »

I don't know about any one else, but I like to look at different sites to get new ideas for pwd projects. Some places like photo bucket, flickr, boys life and even google images. the more I do this the more I find my self seeing the work of members of derby talk. I have seen whodathunkits bob cat out there as well as speed buggy creation and I am pretty sure I had seen ah8tk mr the king online long before I ever found this website. My question to you all is do you ever get the same feeling that the more you explore the web the more it feels like you already know whats out there?
dangeroustoy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: its like goin to the club and seeing the same people

Post by dangeroustoy »

Personally I think this the the best place to go for PWD info. Like you I looked all around the net and there is some good info out there, but hands down the best info I've found was on this forum and the people here seem to be very helpful!

Dave Brisco
dirtjoedirt
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by dirtjoedirt »

Oh I definitely agree with that.I started lurking around here after I saw the quality competition my don was facing as a bear.now that he is a webelos 2 I can see the huge strides we have made thanks to this site.I mainly go on those other sites just to see other pwd cars already complete and get new ideas. I come on this site also for that reason but also to learn how to do stuff from all the pros around here. I think after this years cars are complete I might even post some pics of out collection.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Dirtjoedirt,

I've got a very cool pwd car idea for you.
You know how ah8tk did the king car..
Well it kinda looks like joedirts move car that just needs a little paint changeing here and there.

I have never seen a Dirtjoedirt pwd car ever built.
But how cool it would be to build this car talk about a paint job trying to give it that aged look.

But man just think how cool this car would be with a little help here from the members on DT.

I did a little looking around on the web for a photo of the car.
That I'd like to see you build to go along with your user name.
http://www.carcabin.com/joe-dirt-s-car/ ... tonan.jpg/" target="_blank
or:
http://www.californiaclassix.com/archiv ... ytona.html" target="_blank

whoda.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
dirtjoedirt
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by dirtjoedirt »

LMAO. I have seen a couple of random cars on this board that have that rusted look, I sure we could make it happen. (I wonder if my kid has any legos that I can make look like joe and his 'sister'?) It is probably gonna have to get in line behind my other projects in this next year or two. this year we are doing lightning mcqueen, bumblebee, and a vw two tone with (hopefully) a roof rack on top, next year we are working on either the cement mixer, a garbage truck with a working lift (wonder where I got that idea ;) ) a 46 woody, a 51 chevy pick up, keaton era batmobile, a flintstone car and a modern dodge charger. probably gonna take me into 2014 with these cars although I could do both dodges together, but I will definitely keep you guys posted with random requests. :)
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Sounds like you have got some good ideas for projects going already.
Hope you don't think i was picking on you with the car idea..
Just thought it would be a cool movie car to try and do sometime.

As for me well I never what i'll come up with for pwd car ideas.
Best of luck to you dirtjoedirt.

Mark.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
dirtjoedirt
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by dirtjoedirt »

Whoda I didn't think that at all.I am always looking for new ideas for pwd so keep them coming! My problem is I have so many things I want to make and not enough time (and some times tools) to make them plus while I think I can make a decent enough looking car I have to actively be patient. This it's all while I come on these boards and see some of the quality work I see you, sporty, and ah8tk produce and there is atiny part of me that kind hates you guys for making it look so dang easy! Thats right I don't envy other people for their money or house I envy for their pwd skills : P. Any how keep those ideas coming maybe I will be able to convince my wife to buy me a band saw for my birthday this year
MOFAST
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MOFAST »

I enjoy this forum much more than any other. There is not the egos, name calling, and so forth. There is also some very talented people on this site. I'm not one of them. When conversations get too technical I kind of zone out. That's not a slam, I'm just a slacker. I am often amazed at the detail and creativeness of the people here. Keep it up!
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

As your experience grows and your skills develop to the next level.

Yes, you willd end up finding the quest for new info, harder to find and locate out there on the net.

This site, while less active then years in the past. has a wealth of good info buried here. and many of us, have forgone the egos to help people.

A portion of what you mention, it comes from hard core racers, that want to be the best or are the best and want to stay on top. Its easy to have that gruff ness, when they work so hard and put so much time into it.

I use to be a but like that,I use to put tons and tons of hours into going fast and staying fast. But I also came to a point when it was time to retire or cut back. Although I only adult league raced for 1 year in 2010. I did something so few had done before me, and that was a first time non league racer, came in and won in two classes and set track records. (which have since fallen).

Now cars are even faster. But my reasons were also a bit different. I wanted to share my info and I wanted to promote derbytalk and I also had people who said my stuff I shared was junk and dont work. And I was told to shut up or put up. and So in 2010, I put up and showed, that what I shared for free. worked.

For me, that was the reward knowing, all the help I have gaven over the years, did work and that meant allot to me.

I realized awhile, ago. There our many different ways to go fast or improve. No onway is the golden way. The best way, is the way that you like best.

Sporty
DerbyDash
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyDash »

I know I appreciate all the information and sharing at this site. We finished third in our den the first year and were middle of the pack in the den race. I spent a lot of time looking at various sites too and found this one. We finished first in our den and pack the next year and went undefeated. With a willingness to put int the time and learn from all of you, we gained more knowledge that I believe we could have anywhere else. Thanks to everyone who has been willing to share!