Krytox spray

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Derby Nut
Apprentice
Apprentice

Krytox spray

Post by Derby Nut »

I've seen a lot of posts about Krytox but they all seem to be a Krytox oil. Seems like it is used in combination with the Dupont Teflon spray but the combo does not last that long and the consensus was that graphite is still better when doing many races.

Has anyone used the Krytox spray "Vydax NRT 960"? See the link below. I'm wondering if this dry krytox film could be used in conjunction with graphite and perform well over many races.

http://www.rmilubricants.com/" target="_blank

I wonder if the spray above is what the guys in the link below are using?

http://pinewoodderbyspeedaxles.com/blog ... t-krytox-r" target="_blank
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Krytox spray

Post by Nitro Dan »

Sounds like they are using Team McLubes "SailKote" on the axles. The spray contains another form of Krytox (102 I believe). The aresol goes on wet, but dries on the axles. By itself it isn't a sufficient lube for axles, but when used with a pure graphite (not stuff with moly in it), you get a very fast run. In my opinion it is better than straight Krytox 100 oil. Also, you cannot use the spray on the plastic wheels as one of the other chemicals used in the spray melts the plastic. I don't think Vydax is the same thing. It also is made by DuPont using a form of Krytox. SailKote seems to have been around a lot longer than Vydax has. The only way to know for sure is to buy some of the stuff and test it.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

Nitro Dan,

Does it have any longevity? how many runs will it last?

Are you saying it will out perform a good oil/wax process?
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

By itself, the SailKote longevity is short, but when used in conjunction with a good graphite (no additives), it holds up for as long as the graphite does (around 20 runs). IMO, it performs everybit as good as using Krytox 100 oil. I prefer it to the use of a straight Krytox oil lube and wipe process.

Now my question back is what is your definition of "oil/wax process"?

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

I would say to the best of my knowledge that a good oil process uses the following;
applying some sort of wax to the wheel bore in conjunction with some sort of spray on the axle in conjunction with some sort of Krytox oil.
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

I haven't tested it against "the waxing", but I have seen it out-perform "spray on the axles in conjuction with Krytox oil". Of course, it in itself is a "spray on the axles in conjunction with graphite". :thinking:

-Nitro Dan