Do you teach your scout to be last?

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Do you teach your scout to be last?

Post by Speedster »

What kind of a Subject line is that?
I've started cars at both our Pack and then at our District for many, many years. I try to calm the boys and tell them to take their time putting their cars on the track and not bump another car. The boys would put their cars on the track and I would hold them at the start. If their car would get bumped I would have them realign their car. We have beautiful new aluminum tracks at District, run by a new crew, and this Old-Timer has been phased out. The starters at District do not watch the boys putting their cars on the track and never has a boy been called back to realign his car. This is not a problem at our Pack because I have control. It is a problem at our District. I teach the 1st and 2nd place winners at Pack level how to stall at District. Get up slowly, walk slowly, pretend you're checking a wheel if necessary. As long as they put their car on the track last no one will knock their car out of alignment. It has been working well and calms my nerves when I see my scouts putting their cars on the track last.
I like to think of it as being Polite. "No, No. You go first. I insist." Does anyone else do something similar?
Last edited by Speedster on Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Do you teach your scout to be last?

Post by Stan Pope »

Good topic!

For our district races, I try to teach event chairmen (so, indirectly, the track starter) to call up cars in an order that allows him to see all of the cars that are already staged. The starter usually stands on the side of the track with the starting lever. He should have the near side car staged first, then work his way across the track. So, they will stage 1-2-3 or 3-2-1, depending on how the lanes are numbered. For most of the racing, drivers draw for lanes, so a "slow mover" just holds up everyone.

On a restage, either a second staff watches from the other side of the track or the starter steps a few feet down-track for a better vantage point.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I really like that stepping down-track a few feet and watching the cars . My hat is off to you, Stan.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

An exception could be made in the case of a youngster of unusually limited coordination. He may be called up first for later heats. Starters soon recognize those few youngsters. Haven't noticed a case (yet) in which two such youngsters run the same heat.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TXDerbyDad »

We have our attached Scout Troop run our race, and we teach them how to stage the cars and make sure they do a good job (I watch the starting line like a hawk). The only thing we ask is that Scouts intentionally label the front and back of their cars so they get staged properly if it's not absolutely obvious.