Live-Chat Derby Talk?

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Live-Chat Derby Talk?

Post by Vitamin K »

So, earlier this year, I tuned into the live stream of the Mid-America Derby, and the flash-based player had a neat feature in where the people watching could chat with each other via a chatroom sort of interface. I got to chew the fat with folks like Sporty and Speedster and a few others.

Anyhow, I was wondering if something similar could be set up for Derby Talk. That is, a companion feature to the forum that would provide a live-chatting experience. One such method could be with a web "talk box" that would display inline along the side of the forum. I've seen a lot of forums that incorporate this nowadays. Another possibility would be a Derby Talk IRC channel (though this sets the required technical know-how bar a little bit higher).

Anyhow, it's just a random idea, but it popped into my brain so I thought I'd toss it out there. What do you folks think of the notion?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Live-Chat Derby Talk?

Post by sporty »

I like the idea very much, But its something Randy will have to think about.

Sporty
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

I'm willing to lend whatever technical expertise I can to the endeavor, if the mods like the idea.
sporty wrote:I like the idea very much, But its something Randy will have to think about.

Sporty
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I'll consider it, but it will have to wait until after our busy season.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Vitamin K wrote:What do you folks think of the notion?
Is this to be an audio feature (and/or video say, via a webcam), or just live typing?
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

I think what Vitamin-K is referring to is a traditional chat room, with 'live' typing. While there was a video feed at the Mid-America, it was a static view of the track. Not sure there's a need for audio chat, but it would certainly be a cool idea, and could save a lot of time if you were trying to convey a complex thought or process.

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Scrollsawer wrote:I think what Vitamin-K is referring to is a traditional chat room
Gotcha. IMO, the ability to search DT's archives is its primary asset; I wonder if that feature might be lost to "live" or streaming content. :thinking:
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

A lot of developer communities that offer both forums and IRC channels for support will implement (via a bot) logging of IRC sessions, so that people can go back and browse the chat archives for a given day, if they so desire.

Also, I'd never want to see this /replace/ the discussions we have here. Just possibly be a venue for more off-the-cuff things like "hey, wha'cha building today?"
FatSebastian wrote:
Scrollsawer wrote:I think what Vitamin-K is referring to is a traditional chat room
Gotcha. IMO, the ability to search DT's archives is its primary asset; I wonder if that feature might be lost to "live" or streaming content. :thinking: