District Best Design-No Awards

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

District Best Design-No Awards

Post by Speedster »

Just interested in everyone's differing opinions. There is a District in the Erie Council that has no voting, gives no awards, for "Best Design". All scouts are invited to the District races and can set their car on tables so folks can see them. Lots of Pros and Cons I suppose. Lots of Scouts could be at District and make new friends and talk about their car. No cost for Trophies for the District. A speed winner might well win the Best Design at Pack level, and keep it, if the Pack gives an award for Best Design. The reason for this might be cost of trophies, trying to de-tune "Dad's" car, less people needed at District race, etc. I've written the District Executive to see if I could find a reason but whether I'll ever hear from him is anybody's guess. I know I've asked this question before. Is there a single District on DT that has no award for Best Design?

Now that I've used the Search function I see no awards for Design at Districts is not all that unusual.
Rukkian
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: District Best Design-No Awards

Post by Rukkian »

The district I was part of in Minnesota (Northern Star) did not have design trophies, and the district race I am running this year (Raccoon River Valley in Des Moines) is not planned to have one. There has not been a district event at all in my current district for like 20 years, so no idea what kind of turn out there will be.

I am all for a design award at pack, not sure I like a design award at district. If you do a district design award, do you let more cars come for that, or would it come out of those that qualified? Do you allow awards for both speed and design?
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

Our district does have a looks category. You must qualify in looks at pack to be able to enter at district.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

The 1st and 2nd place speed winners and the 1st place Best Design winner go to District. The problem is the 1st and 2nd place speed winners often also win the Best Design and they have to choose one or the other. That often results in a car that might not look so good. I hope the scout has fun at the District talking to the other scouts.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

resullivan wrote:Our district does have a looks category. You must qualify in looks at pack to be able to enter at district.
Are District also has a Best of Show. (Santa Fe Trail.)
The Best of Show Winner from each pack will be eligible for judging.
But can only be eligible for the District Derby..
If the car has finshed in one of the top three places in there pack.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
macd
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by macd »

Our district has two design awards: "Best Design" and "Most Unique".
The winners are chosen by volunteer judges.

Those at district will have won first place in that category at their pack race.

Those racing (competing for speed awards) are not eligible for design awards, and vice versa.
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TXDerbyDad »

Our District only does 1-3 place for each Rank, and District is open to any Scout in the District.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

Our district race is only open to the top 3 speed finalists from each pack and the top 3 design finalists from each pack.

Our district race gives (really big) trophies for 1st - 5th place for speed and 1st - 5th place for design. The trophies are identical.

There are no rank trophies at our district race, all ranks compete for the one set of trophies.

birddog
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

Our district has speed awards only. Nothing is done for best design or best in show. Might bring that up as a question in a survey option. Always looking for ways to bring more people to the district race.

-Nitro Dan

New Birth of Freedom Council
Indian Rock District
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!