He did WHAT !!!

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

He did WHAT !!!

Post by Speedster »

Our rules state "Axles MUST be inserted in to the pre-made slots only". I learned yesterday at a workshop that someone in the District cut off both ends of the car, cut the car in half, and inserted the ends into the middle giving him an extended wheelbase car. I see our rules might be a bit lacking. He won his Pack race Yesterday and last year won the District race so whoever it is must be a decent car builder. Fortunately, the man in charge of our District races is also a policeman.

I don't know if the racer should be disqualified or given a Trophy for his thinking.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: He did WHAT !!!

Post by Vitamin K »

Maybe he was a DerbyTalker. I've seen this very "loophole" mentioned by folks here as well. The takeaway is to make sure you word the rules in accordance with what you're trying to achieve (e.g. -- stock wheelbase).

Clever bloke. :)
Speedster wrote:Our rules state "Axles MUST be inserted in to the pre-made slots only". I learned yesterday at a workshop that someone in the District cut off both ends of the car, cut the car in half, and inserted the ends into the middle giving him an extended wheelbase car. I see our rules might be a bit lacking. He won his Pack race Yesterday and last year won the District race so whoever it is must be a decent car builder. Fortunately, the man in charge of our District races is also a policeman.

I don't know if the racer should be disqualified or given a Trophy for his thinking.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Speedster wrote:whoever it is must be a decent car builder.
I suppose he would have won even without relocating the slots. An extended wheelbase does not necessarily make a car inherently faster, although it makes the car easier to tune. IMO rearranging the block is not worth the effort.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

FatSebastion,

Dumb Question? I know but I'm hopeing you can help me with it.
Under the kit box rules used today that the axle slots provided in the kit must be used for the axles.
And that the builder can choose his favorite design and mark the block accordingly
for building the car.

Could the builder not choose to cut out around the axle slots..
Then take the remaining part of the block and stand it up..
cutting off the notchs that were cut out around the axle slots in the block.
Then cut in new axle support notches in the remaining part of the kit block.
To build the car in the kit styles that were first used in the 1956
by running the wheelbase backwards.
Or in the style of the 1977 kit but with a much narrow car body.

What are your thoughts?
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?