Do you sell product at workshops?

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Do you sell product at workshops?

Post by Speedster »

For the 1st time I offered 3/8" by 6" lead rod which is 3.8oz. (Maximum Velocity Bulk) and a tube of Chinese wheels/axles at one of our workshops. I like the axles. I charge $3.00 for either one which is less then they can buy it plus it saves them time and gas. I also offer tungsten canopies, cubes, cylinders, blocks and the zinc plate. The zinc plate goes for $3.50 to discourage them and after my presentation nobody wants one. No one usually wants tungsten either. Too expensive. I have plenty of body filler which I give them and I putty up the holes so I can catch it in the spongy stage and cut it with a razor blade. I then have the scout hit it quick before it is completely dry and he's done. I sold all 5 lbs. of rod last Saturday and the folks seemed to enjoy the progress on what was once a block of wood. Prior to this last workshop the scout would bring his car and all we could do was cut it and have him sand it. No one seems to have tools anymore. Who has a 25/64" drill bit at home? Not many I would think. If they don't have three or six dollars I ask them to send me a check? I don't do that with tungsten. I urge them to take the car home, have the scout paint it and decorate it, and return to the next workshop to prep the wheels, axles and have the wheels installed if they choose.

What's the latest thing others do? Can my 2 partners and I improve on this?
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Do you sell product at workshops?

Post by psycaz »

We starts charging $5 a family to attend the workshop. Lead is free. We usually have drinks and at least donuts for the boys. The extra cash goes towards all the other incidentals that use to come out of pocket: sandpaper, drill bits, graph paper, Dremel bits, and such. Also it allowed us to purchase a thing or two each year. First year we bought the car templates from Grand Prix Central. Those have been a tremendous hit. Then we picked up a harbor freight RotoZip. Not as good as the real thing but routes pockets in wood better than a Dremel.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

My workshops are not as intensive as what you all seem to do. Maybe I'll expand in future years, but for now, I take over a Den meeting of the Tigers one week in December. I give them their car kits (for free) and have a power point I use on how to build a car. I target the Tigers as they are the ones new to pinewood derby.

In the Den meeting, I ask each parent to bring a drill. I supply the sand paper out of my own supply and we all work on filing and polishing one axle together. That is the only "hands on" they get. The rest is just theory and they are on their own to do the rest of the build. Of course I make myself available to answer any questions, but that is all the "formality" they get in a workshop.

I don't sell anything. I might be worried if I sold something that my motives would be questioned.

birddog
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

We don't sell anything at our workshops, other than to collect the $10 per kit (suggested donation) that goes towards the cost of the kits, the cost of the awards, the cost of the workshops, and any other derby-related costs.

At the workshops, we provide tools and supplies like drill presses, band saws (adults only), bench sanders, rotary tools, sanding blocks, emery boards, paint booths, trigger-style spray paint handles, sandpaper, emery paper (for polishing axles), primer (spray and brush-on), spray paint, nitrile gloves, glue, molten weight (adults only), Krytox 100 (and some old graphite if they insist), and a few other things. If someone asks, then we'll get them craft supplies (e.g., googly eyes, craft sticks, or chenille wire) from the church's craft closet.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Speedster,

I am thinking about this issue too. This year we had fewer parents put in an effort to add weight to cars. So at our inspection, where we hot glue gun some lead to a few cars, we went through 12 bags on pine car lead weights (the rectangles you can break off, the lead wedge you screw into the car and the 1/2 rods).
What are the options? Sell lead when we hand out the kits (free)? Will we then be pulling off more weight as most parents dont have a scale. Host a "weigh you car night?"

Side issue: the Pinecar lead weight one screws to the bottom of the car. They seem to be thicker than the lead plates as we had a few screwed under cars (no space cut in body) and they dragged on the center rail. I am guessing most cars have a 3/8 in clearance so the center rail must be what 2/8th? I felt horrible for passing them at inspection as the plates had not dragged in the past.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

We allow the PineCar Zinc plates to be screwed to the bottom, even though it drags on the car inspection gauge. But I know that the cars will be fine on our track. Typically guide rails are 1/4 of an inch, so there is plenty of room.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Noskills wrote:we went through 12 bags on pine car lead weights (the rectangles you can break off, the lead wedge you screw into the car and the 1/2 rods). What are the options?
:thinking: I wonder if this might be a situation where a unit might make its own lead ingots from inexpensive scrap? I know Darin's group casts lead directly into the bodies.
loren.phillips
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by loren.phillips »

Try Rotometals (http://www.rotometals.com" target="_blank) for bulk sales. They sell lead wire in various diameters. They also sell rectangular (1/4 in X 1/4 inch) bars. I think they are located in California. Shipping charge can be a bit pricey.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

That's why I buy it from Max-V. It's the right size and shipping is free if you buy enough product. Plus, Randy does a Heck of a lot of Stuff for the Scouts.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I was thinking at our last workshop how much it costs an individual to buy various products for wheel prep work. There's a lot of running around, burning gas, or paying shipping costs from the various vendors. I decided to make a package to save the racers money. I bought some tins with screw on covers for the Novus 2 and graphite, an 8 ounce bottle of Novus 2, Walgreens cotton swabs and pipe cleaners from Derby Evolution. I think I can sell the package for $2.00 and give them enough to do one car. They'll be able to do their wheels at home when it's convenient. Providing lead rod for sale has been very successful and the folks have been very appreciative. Hodges is selling lead rod for $1.75 a rod so I'll be able to drop the price on the rod. We'll see how it goes.
Anyone have any ideas on anything else that might make this a little easier on the racers. I found out at the last workshop some lady took a taxi cab to the workshop because she couldn't afford to get her car fixed. If that doesn't make you cry I don't know what will. How fortunate so many of us are.Image
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Our local Scout Store lets us hold 3-4 workshops per year on their front porch.
I bring tools and recruit volunteers, folks bring their own kits or buy ones from the shop.
This year, I didn't give away lead and folks mostly bought tungsten supplies right there at the store.
It really helped the store!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.