Two Year Hiatus, Anything New?

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Two Year Hiatus, Anything New?

Post by SlartyBartFast »

It has been two years since my last post.

So, what's new and exciting in the world of derbies?

All the latest topics look eerily familiar. ;)

Still have a soft spot for derby cars and tech, so when I came across the following sensor I thought "Derby finish line!".
http://www.walkeremd.com/Banner-Enginee ... -s/613.htm" target="_blank
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Two Year Hiatus, Anything New?

Post by FatSebastian »

SlartyBartFast wrote:It has been two years since my last post.
Welcome back SBF! It is hard to believe that it has been two years!
SlartyBartFast wrote:All the latest topics look eerily familiar.
Last season it was noted that forum participation was waning (which led me to speculate that kid's racing may have reached a temporary plateau). Increased discussions are taking place this season, but yes, much of the subject matter is not new.
SlartyBartFast wrote:So, what's new and exciting in the world of derbies?
I suppose different people are excited by different things. IMO, the "next big thing" might be new dry lubricants, particularly waxes sometimes used in combination with graphite. Other new products that I have noticed of late are high performance axles made of titanium and stainless steel. Also, the Mid-America Race seems to be gaining increasing attention as a national venue for kid's racing.
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SlartyBartFast »

So you actually bothered to check? I'm surprised anyone remembers my ramblings. Guess I posted enough (quantity over quality?) to leave a mark with one or two regulars.

But my old derby cars are on a shelf in my kitchen and never far from mind. I lament that there is no derby in my son's scouting group.

One of these days (when debt from a new house and renovations drops) maybe I'll bite the bullet, get a track, and push hard as an organizer.

Once again my silly dreaming with commercial sensors is shattered. They’re great for counting, but the response time makes them not well suited for precision timing.

I really want to find that killer solution for a bridge free finish line. Without of course having to resort to $10,000+ linescan camera finish line systems. :p

Although proper photo-finish capability for derbies would be great to have.....
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

SlartyBartFast wrote:So you actually bothered to check? I'm surprised anyone remembers my ramblings.
I remembered it (I responded to it if you recall), because at that time it had been almost two years since your previous post. Had come across lots of your old posts when starting out on DT.
SlartyBartFast wrote:I really want to find that killer solution for a bridge free finish line.
Please define "bridge free".
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SlartyBartFast »

FatSebastian wrote:Please define "bridge free".
No "over the track" structure for the timing electronics.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

SlartyBartFast wrote:No "over the track" structure for the timing electronics.
I thought so, but just wanted to be sure. Here's one approach, courtesy of Whoda. "Strip of tin that is on bottom at completion of the race indicates which racer one." ;) I guess it would be a "killer" approach, especially in the event of a tie!

Welcome back!