Build idea

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Build idea

Post by Noskills »

Hello all,

Just got back from my first trip to Pearl Harbor. Apart from the great history and reverence for the place I had the thought that the Arizona Memorial would make a great patriotic PWD car. Not sure if I could do it justice though. Just a thought.

Noskills

https://www.google.com/search?q=arizona ... B856%3B601
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Build idea

Post by Scrollsawer »

First of all, very cool that you got to go there. That is pretty holy ground in my book. Never been there, but have always wanted to visit. Since I see that monument as a tomb, I would feel weird about making a car based on it, but that's just me. If it were a 'pre-attack' ship-based car, I would think that could be pretty cool.

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Build idea

Post by FatSebastian »

Scrollsawer wrote:Since I see that monument as a tomb, I would feel weird about making a car based on it, but that's just me.
:thinking: I would say that the sunken ship is the tomb, whereas the monument is a "shrine" honoring those entombed. I would trust Seth, having visited the place, to make something respectful honoring those memorialized, if he chose to build something that resembled the memorial. If the monument can be offered as a souvenir Christmas ornament, then why not a Derby car?

Interestingly, the memorial was funded in part by the sale of Revell models of the Arizona.