So a Pack mom emails me...

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

So a Pack mom emails me...

Post by Vitamin K »

I'm the Pinewood Derby Committee chairperson for our Pack. Because, I talk too much about the Derby. Anyhow.

So we handed out kits during November's Pack meeting. A few days ago, I sent out an email to the Pack parents, letting them know that I still had extra car kits and to please get in touch with me if their kid didn't get a chance to pick his up at our meeting.

So one mom emails me, to the effect of, "My son wasn't at the Pack meeting. I had been hoping he wouldn't care about the Derby, since he is a Webelos II, but he does."

Hoping he wouldn't care about the Derby..??! :O

But...but...who wouldn't care about the Derby??? :O

I don't understand some folks. :mrgreen:
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: So a Pack mom emails me...

Post by Stan Pope »

There are tool-impaired and competition-averse folks out there. They tend to look the other way while Jr does whatever to the block and despair his lack of results.

Scouting can provide secondary adult guidance that covers for some of the primary adult's shortcomings.

That W-II needs a mentor for this year... someone who can help him break the cycle of tool-impaired-ness. Got any Dad's around who could give him a hand?
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Well, I am trying to organize a Pack workshop day/afternoon, where people can come and get help with their cars, though we probably won't be able to do more than body cutting and ballasting. I did mention this in my reply.

If I can get a few words with her, I'll ask if she has any specific concerns and see what I can offer. I don't mind inviting folks over for an afternoon to work on stuff in the basement.
Stan Pope wrote:There are tool-impaired and competition-averse folks out there. They tend to look the other way while Jr does whatever to the block and despair his lack of results.

Scouting can provide secondary adult guidance that covers for some of the primary adult's shortcomings.

That W-II needs a mentor for this year... someone who can help him break the cycle of tool-impaired-ness. Got any Dad's around who could give him a hand?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Vitamin K wrote:If I can get a few words with her, I'll ask if she has any specific concerns and see what I can offer. I don't mind inviting folks over for an afternoon to work on stuff in the basement.
Don't spread yourself too thin. Spread the joy of helping a youngster around to other Dad's and Mom's in your pack.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Stan Pope wrote:
Vitamin K wrote:If I can get a few words with her, I'll ask if she has any specific concerns and see what I can offer. I don't mind inviting folks over for an afternoon to work on stuff in the basement.
Don't spread yourself too thin. Spread the joy of helping a youngster around to other Dad's and Mom's in your pack.
I don't have a whole lot of go-to people, as of yet, but I'll ask around. Need to determine if she needs/wants help for her son yet. She could just...hate the Derby. I dunno. :)
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Vitamin K wrote:"I had been hoping he wouldn't care about the Derby, since he is a Webelos II"
I would have supposed the opposite is true: Webelos II is a boy's last opportunity to compete and do well in PWD.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Vit K,
If you changed your rules as the chair be especially careful that the Web 2 read the rules. In my experience they are the most apt to miss a rule change. Happened to me when our pack adopted the district rules.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Hey NS, fortunately, almost all of the rules changes that I made only made things more permissive, as opposed to less. The only possible sticking point is that I added a 2.4 gram weight minimum to the wheels, which is a requirement put in place by the District race. In fact, all of the rules modifications were done to bring us closer in line with the district standards.

I don't suspect that anybody's actually lightening their wheels in our Pack, but I plan to have my version of Teeeman's wheel machine ready by check-in time...and I'll have a few tubes of stock wheels on hand, just in case. ;)
Noskills wrote:Vit K,
If you changed your rules as the chair be especially careful that the Web 2 read the rules. In my experience they are the most apt to miss a rule change. Happened to me when our pack adopted the district rules.
Noskills
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

FatSebastian wrote:
Vitamin K wrote:"I had been hoping he wouldn't care about the Derby, since he is a Webelos II"
I would have supposed the opposite is true: Webelos II is a boy's last opportunity to compete and do well in PWD.
My son is a Web II, and he wanted to skip PWD this year. Not sure what the end result will be.