Something Very Special... 2015 Mid America Pinewood Derby

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Something Very Special... 2015 Mid America Pinewood Derb

Post by gpraceman »

xanthrum wrote:Randy -- I am so glad that you pointed that out -- I do not know how to write the rules and we will shortly be announcing a Big Rig "B" Division - where as you can build a car exactly as you have described - with out a pin, with out 18 wheels .... like a Fire Truck -- A Russian Missile Launcher, a Train, etc. Essentially a Wide Open Division that Craftsmanship and design can be used to the fullest extent. I just need some assistance and direction in crafting or coming up with some bases for some type of rules for the Big Rig "B" Division - -Not Semi Trucks but rather just a cool Big Rig... Please send any and all recommendation to me -- I will immediately get these posted on the website... I like Simple Easy to Inspect - that keeps the Spirit of the Division Fun and based on Craftsmanship .
Greg,

Well, you might want to craft those "B" division rules such that if you don't get enough entries for two truck divisions that the semis can run instead in the "B" division. So, make the "B" division rules have the same width, min and max overall length, rail clearance, and overall weight as the semis. Maybe keep the BSA wheel requirement.

So, here's what I would propose:

Section I - Same as Big Rigs

Section II. Body Specifications
+ You can use a BSA Big Rig Kit or Beta Craft Kit or you can make your own as long as it meets the Body Specifications. Bodies can be made out of Pine, Balsa, Basswood, Aspen, to name just a few any material may be used that does not interfere with the equipment or the other trucks
+ Width - not to exceed 3 3/8 inches
+ Length – Minimum length is 17 inches, maximum length is 19 inches
+ Height – Must have clearance under Finishing Gate – not to exceed 6 ½ inches, Minimum height requirement of 3 inches
+ Center Rail Clearance – Must clear the center rail which is 1 5/8 inches wide by ¼ inch tall along the entire length of the vehicle.
+ Weight – The overall weight is not to exceed 25.0 ounces – 711.5 grams measured on Official Race Scale
+ Body Design – may be enhanced by adding other stable materials such as plastic, metal, or details. All additions must be firmly attached and conform to size specifications. No loose materials will be allowed.
+ No Part of the truck can extend beyond the starting peg on the track what so ever.

Section III - Same as Big Rigs

Section IV - Remove the number of wheels requirement from the Big Rig rules.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

If I'm reading this right, I can build a flat bed tractor trailer, load tungsten on the back of the trailer, and have only 5 wheels touching which would be easy to set up a rail runner. Did I miss anything?
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

Randy -- I Like it... maybe we add that there needs to be six or eight wheels on the vehicle so that we do not have some really long 4 wheel big rig speed mobile. Count on it as done .. maybe with a couple tweaks -- I will work on getting something finalized tonight or this week by the latest.

Truly
Greg Dawes
Greg Dawes
Mid-America Pinewood Derby
http://www.midamericaderby.com
midamericaderby@yahoo.com
(402) 659-1714
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

xanthrum wrote:maybe we add that there needs to be six or eight wheels on the vehicle so that we do not have some really long 4 wheel big rig speed mobile. Count on it as done .. maybe with a couple tweaks --
Tweak away. I think that an 8 wheel minimum would be fine. A real vehicle about the size of a big rig and trailer will most likely have 8 or more wheels.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Randy & Greg,

How about the class B big rigs.. haveing to use 10 wheels.
And be built like the ones seen at the bottom of this topic that Bubba has posted some time back.
http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2916

Been's how the BSA big rig kits are hard to get.

The only big rig kits that I know of that are in stock for around $ 10.00 a kit..
are the Indy products big rig kits.
http://www.indyproducts.com/-Phantom-50 ... _p_12.html
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

whodathunkit wrote:How about the class B big rigs.. haveing to use 10 wheels.
I'd prefer the minimum be set at 8, but that is because the truck design that I want to build is an 8 wheeler. ;)
whodathunkit wrote:Been's how the BSA big rig kits are hard to get.

The only big rig kits that I know of that are in stock for around $ 10.00 a kit..
are the Indy products big rig kits.
http://www.indyproducts.com/-Phantom-50 ... _p_12.html
Ah, at least that is a source for kits. However, those definitely are not BSA wheels and it only comes with 10 wheels. So, if the Big Rig Division rules were to stay as is, you could not use those wheels and axles.

Personally, I think there should only be a single big truck division for this first year, but with the rules more like what I recommended for the "B" Division. If the number of racers grows to the point where 2 divisions makes sense then I can see having a separate 18 wheeler division. I'd hate to see two divisions and not get enough entrants for either to be a good race.
Randy Lisano

xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

Just like with different Ranks when we run groups - we can easily race all Big Rig together but separate the two... only because I know this guy that wrote some amazing software that allows us to do things like that..
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I was thinking more in terms of cost of two sets of trophies and the number of racers competing for them. For the first year, you may not get as much participation as you would like for two big truck divisions.
Randy Lisano

xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

I really appreciate the concern... currently I have trophies for the Big Rig Semi's -- 1st - 3rd... and I may likely get a couple Trophies for the Big Rig "B" Division - One for Craftsmanship one for Speed

That helps us keep the costs down... although we have ordered well above 200+ trophies for this years event... it is Awesome seeing people / kids / scouts win a trophy - -it is really a big part of what the whole event is all about.

Truly
Greg
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Finished our 2 entries this weekend, just registered on-line and printed out my proxy labels and info. Team Noskills is ready to rumble. This year I am shipping the cars each in their own small box but both inside one large box full of peanuts. Should be enough room for all the swag Greg gives us and maybe enough room for a trophy. ;)

We are skipping the oil div this year as it was very competitive last year but we hope to place again in open scout graphite. I got killed in the open adult but as long as I beat a least a few DTers this year will be happy :mrgreen:

Noskills (Seth)
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

What would y'all consider to be a reasonable "safe deadline" to ship to the Mid-America?

If I ship priority mail a week before the event, is that cutting it too close?
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

3 day shipping you may want to try 5 business days to be safe.
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

Both of you Guys need to complete your online entry too... Vitamin K an NGYoung... :)
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

xanthrum wrote:Randy -- I Like it... maybe we add that there needs to be six or eight wheels on the vehicle so that we do not have some really long 4 wheel big rig speed mobile. Count on it as done .. maybe with a couple tweaks -- I will work on getting something finalized tonight or this week by the latest.
Greg,

Any update on this? I don't see any posted rules for a Big Rig "B" Division.
Randy Lisano

xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

I will get that done later tonight.
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714