Pinewood Derby World Championship

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Pinewood Derby World Championship

Post by birddog »

Those have to be the largest trophies I've ever seen for a PWD event. WOW!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I read some discussions from another forum about the check-in inspection being pretty poor and possibly letting illegal wheels and lubes slip by. If that is the case, I really hope that the organizers of the race address that issue for next year's race. They should also look very closely at their rules and make sure that they are published well in advance. This is their first year holding this event, so I rather expected things to be rough. I certainly hope that they can smooth things out and build this into a true championship race. The event organizers would do well to pick Greg Dawes' brains on how the Mid America race is run and maybe even send people to the next MA race to see, in person, how that race is run.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

I was glad to hear they added a pro class with more universal rules. I assumed they just added the new class so they didn't mess with the originally posted rules and be fair to the local council scouts who already built cars to those specifications. Then I looked at the posted rules and was left scratching my head wondering why thehe stock class had less restrictions then the added pro-stock.

I will chalk it up as a rookie mistake especially when they are trying to pull off such an ambitious event. Hopefully they can get things ironed out and most of the participants that felt slighted by the late rule changes will give them another chance next year.

gpraceman wrote:I read some discussions from another forum about the check-in inspection being pretty poor and possibly letting illegal wheels and lubes slip by. If that is the case, I really hope that the organizers of the race address that issue for next year's race. They should also look very closely at their rules and make sure that they are published well in advance. This is their first year holding this event, so I rather expected things to be rough. I certainly hope that they can smooth things out and build this into a true championship race. The event organizers would do well to pick Greg Dawes brains on how the Mid America race is run and maybe even send people to the next MA race to see, in person, how that race is run.
Brian Clark
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Brian Clark »

gpraceman wrote:I read some discussions from another forum about the check-in inspection being pretty poor and possibly letting illegal wheels and lubes slip by. If that is the case, I really hope that the organizers of the race address that issue for next year's race. They should also look very closely at their rules and make sure that they are published well in advance. This is their first year holding this event, so I rather expected things to be rough. I certainly hope that they can smooth things out and build this into a true championship race. The event organizers would do well to pick Greg Dawes' brains on how the Mid America race is run and maybe even send people to the next MA race to see, in person, how that race is run.

Hey they fly me out and put me up, I'll help them run it next year, ok I just want to see it for free, it should be a great race after all the kinks get worked out.