Pinewood Derby Chat Room

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Pinewood Derby Chat Room

Post by Vitamin K »

So this is more of an experiment than anything else, but I've always kind of wished for a realtime discussion platform for fellow Derbyheads. In this vein, I've gone and created a Chatwing room, "Pinewood Chat."

You can connect here: http://chatwing.com/pinewoodchat

There's also a free app available for Android and iOS.

Hope to maybe see some of y'all there. All are welcome. Any discussion remotely related to gravity powered car racing or building is appropriate.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pinewood Derby Chat Room

Post by gpraceman »

I will be upgrading the forum software at some point in the next few months. At that time, I can look at installing a chat feature. However, I do question the value of having such a feature. When posting to the forums, people can see the comments and respond and then later find the discussion in a search. If there are good discussions on a chat, then that is not incorporated into the forum. The only real advantage that I see from a chat feature is that it is a very informal mode of communication, while posting in a forum is more formal.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Pinewood Derby Chat Room

Post by Vitamin K »

gpraceman wrote:I will be upgrading the forum software at some point in the next few months. At that time, I can look at installing a chat feature. However, I do question the value of having such a feature. When posting to the forums, people can see the comments and respond and then later find the discussion in a search. If there are good discussions on a chat, then that is not incorporated into the forum. The only real advantage that I see from a chat feature is that it is a very informal mode of communication, while posting in a forum is more formal.
Yeah, this isn't a DerbyTalk-specific thing I've set up here (though DTers are more than welcome). I had kind of figured that the idea of an integrated chat wasn't going to take hold for the forum.