Open race for $100

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Open race for $100

Post by Speedster »

Someone in our Pack thought it would be a good idea to have an "OPEN" race for anyone willing to pay $100 for a car. We would build the car if the person or company didn't want to build their own car. The race was to be held after Pack regulation racing and before the "OUTLAW" race. I thought it wouldn't work. $100 is not an insignificant amount of money. I was wrong again. We have 10 cars so far and the race isn't until Feb. 6. Car dealers, tire shops, Marinas and I don't know who else might join. We have a 3 lane Piantedosi track and we score using Elapsed time. We run the scouts down 6 times. I'm not sure how many times we'll run the "OPEN" class. I suppose for a $100 we should run them 6 times also. The rules are the same as The Commodore Perry District rules. I'll let you know how this works out.
Loder66
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Open race for $100

Post by Loder66 »

Wow! What do they win? Also how are you guys promoting this to get that kind of participation? That is a great way to raise some funds. I presented this idea to my nephews pack at the last race. I would pay to enter but I am not sure I would pay $100. Although....for a big enough trophy I might.
Loder
Plano, TX
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I'm told it will be a traveling trophy. It's some 3 Post thing about 2 1/2' High. They'll all get something to show they participated. All the cars sold were by word of mouth.
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Yep, definitely a novel way to raise Pack funds. Well heeled parents, or companies as likely targets. I'm not at all surprised this would succeed.
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
FoamCoreDerby
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by FoamCoreDerby »

More than a trophy, a picture of the team in front of the track with some type of "Thanks for donating!" message would be a good gift for all entrants.

I think it's important for businesses to be part of the community and it's just as important for them to convey that to customers.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thank You. Good Idea. I'll suggest it.
FoamCoreDerby
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by FoamCoreDerby »

Speedster wrote:Someone in our Pack thought it would be a good idea to have an "OPEN" race for anyone willing to pay $100 for a car. We would build the car if the person or company didn't want to build their own car. The race was to be held after Pack regulation racing and before the "OUTLAW" race. I thought it wouldn't work. $100 is not an insignificant amount of money. I was wrong again. We have 10 cars so far and the race isn't until Feb. 6. Car dealers, tire shops, Marinas and I don't know who else might join. We have a 3 lane Piantedosi track and we score using Elapsed time. We run the scouts down 6 times. I'm not sure how many times we'll run the "OPEN" class. I suppose for a $100 we should run them 6 times also. The rules are the same as The Commodore Perry District rules. I'll let you know how this works out.
How many entrants do you have now? Do you have a cap on slots?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

We have 12 cars to date. We didn't set a limit. It would be hard to say "No" to someone trying to hand you a $100. If we would get a large number of racers (30) we could add another track. I have a 2 lane Best track plus the Pack's 3 Lane track. Maybe we could run them down each lane which would give them 5 runs. That should go fairly quickly. Add up their times and we have the winner. That would also give them a chance to experience an aluminum Best track and a wood Piantedosi track. That might also be something we could advertise and might draw more racers. We'll see how it goes this Saturday.
FoamCoreDerby
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by FoamCoreDerby »

I saw this:

http://stlouisreview.photoshelter.com/i ... XZinQ5pv1g

It looks like it was successful as well (though no relevant information around it).
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Everything went well and everyone had lots of Fun. Tri County Tire won the trophy. They do a lot of work for the City of Oregon so it was nice to see them win this year. I did not build any of the cars. The Leaders changed the OUTLAW race from 6 runs to 3 runs so we ended up finishing earlier than what we normally do.
My scout won 1st place so he will move on to District. We helped a good friend build an identical car to ours and he also took 1st place in another Pack but same District. We will be racing each other. It will be interesting to see if we can both get by the Best track at District and run on the 40' Freedom track. He's running .02 faster than we are on my track. Does anyone know where I can purchase GRAPHITE ENHANCER ????