aluminum vs. wood tracks car setup

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
harrdani2
Apprentice
Apprentice

aluminum vs. wood tracks car setup

Post by harrdani2 »

My son recently won his pack races, now we are going to districts. The district track is an 6 or 8 lane wood . My question is their any changes to alignment or car setup for the wood track? My sons cars have always done good on the aluminum tracks but just ok on this wood track. Any help wood be appreciated.
Nelvis
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: aluminum vs. wood tracks car setup

Post by Nelvis »

You didn't give many details on his car but assuming you run a 3 wheeled rail rider, many folks go with a little more steer on a wooden track and a slightly less aggressive COM.
harrdani2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by harrdani2 »

Yes, It is a 3 wheel rail rider setup, thanks I will have to try this. Thanks
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Unless you have already done so, I would give it a lot of thought before I start changing anything. What is the drift on your car now? Did the car lose any races? Were the Pack races close? What's the degree of bend on the DFW? Do you own your own track? Is the wood track in good condition? Will more harm than good be done by changing anything? We have the reverse of you. Our Pack has a wood track and we then race on aluminum tracks at District. We tune cars on an aluminum Best track and don't touch the car after that. I have scouts in 2 different districts that race on wood and aluminum. All our cars are tuned on an aluminum Best track and then left alone. We have done very well this year.
I wish you well.