Best axles for a "by the rules car"?

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
S1C EM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:28 am
Location: Athens, GA

Best axles for a "by the rules car"?

Post by S1C EM » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:59 pm

So, we have my son's first ever derby coming up this Saturday and are having an issue with the first set of axles I bought (the ones from the kit were ALL bent). I'm now looking for the best thing I can get in terms of polished and straightened axles, ready to race. I've found all sorts of sellers peddling these, from just straightened and polished, to nickel/teflon plated (not BSA though), and 100,000 grit ( :O ) polished with a Krytox sealing job that is supposedly DRY and good to use with dry lube.

We are required to run on all four wheels, so no rail riding, lifted wheel axles. We're also required to use dry lube (graphite, mainly). I'm concerned about the Krytox "sealed" axles because, well, from what I've read here, Krytox doesn't evaporate per the description on these (actually says it's a Krytox-based solvent).

The question here is what is the best thing I can get and who from? And QUICK???



EDIT: I should also point out that the wheels are not allowed to be machined or lathed other than what is required for deburring and/or removing mold marks. I've seen a number of axles that are part of sets where the wheels have had the hubs altered and are lightened, which I don't think would pass inspection.



Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend
Posts: 1333
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:48 pm
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Best axles for a "by the rules car"?

Post by Speedster » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:09 pm

Maximum Velocity has BSA axles that are ready to race and has always had the fastest shipping. If you call it in you should have it in a couple of days depending on where you live.
Save those Bent axles. You'll be building a rail rider soon.
Are you allowed to use the Axles made in China that have the Official Boy Scout seal on the tube of wheels and axles? You might be able to find them in your area. Polish them up with Brasso and you should be fine.
Last edited by Speedster on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.



S1C EM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:28 am
Location: Athens, GA

Re: Best axles for a "by the rules car"?

Post by S1C EM » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:14 pm

Speedster wrote:Maximum Velocity has BSA axles that are ready to race and has always had the fastest shipping. If you call it in you should have it in a couple of days depending on where you live.
Save those Bent axles. You'll be building a rail rider soon.
Wow! That's great! IN all my searching, I never found them. Weeeeeird. I see their main speed axles are made to "resemble" BSA axles; however, our rules call for all parts used to be official from the BSA car kit. Do you think these would pass?



User avatar
Vitamin K
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head
Posts: 980
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:26 pm
Location: Montgomery County, MD
Contact:

Re: Best axles for a "by the rules car"?

Post by Vitamin K » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:41 pm

S1C EM wrote:
Speedster wrote:Maximum Velocity has BSA axles that are ready to race and has always had the fastest shipping. If you call it in you should have it in a couple of days depending on where you live.
Save those Bent axles. You'll be building a rail rider soon.
Wow! That's great! IN all my searching, I never found them. Weeeeeird. I see their main speed axles are made to "resemble" BSA axles; however, our rules call for all parts used to be official from the BSA car kit. Do you think these would pass?
They will likely pass inspection, but you have to ask yourself if you really want to break the rules as written like that.

Revell axles are straight and burr-free. They're also in official BSA kits (albeit the ones made by Revell in China). You can get them at Michael's, Hobby Lobby or sometimes Lowe's.

If you're allowed to buy the extra wheel/axle tubes from the Scout Store, you can pick up a couple and sort through them for the straightest axles. Then deburr and polish 'em.



S1C EM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:28 am
Location: Athens, GA

Re: Best axles for a "by the rules car"?

Post by S1C EM » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Well, the big problem is the lack of time. I really need something that's ready to go, out of the box. I won't have much time to work on them by the time they get here. I've got some on order from Win Derby, but I haven't been able to get in touch with them to get a shipping update. As of now, still no shipment notification and they were ordered for UPS delivery over the weekend.



User avatar
Vitamin K
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head
Posts: 980
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:26 pm
Location: Montgomery County, MD
Contact:

Re: Best axles for a "by the rules car"?

Post by Vitamin K » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:04 pm

S1C EM wrote:Well, the big problem is the lack of time. I really need something that's ready to go, out of the box. I won't have much time to work on them by the time they get here. I've got some on order from Win Derby, but I haven't been able to get in touch with them to get a shipping update. As of now, still no shipment notification and they were ordered for UPS delivery over the weekend.
Go with some Revell axles then. Just a little filing under the head and a quick polish, and you're good to go.



S1C EM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:28 am
Location: Athens, GA

Re: Best axles for a "by the rules car"?

Post by S1C EM » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:45 pm

Vitamin K wrote:
S1C EM wrote:Well, the big problem is the lack of time. I really need something that's ready to go, out of the box. I won't have much time to work on them by the time they get here. I've got some on order from Win Derby, but I haven't been able to get in touch with them to get a shipping update. As of now, still no shipment notification and they were ordered for UPS delivery over the weekend.
Go with some Revell axles then. Just a little filing under the head and a quick polish, and you're good to go.

Well, low and behold, Winderby finally came through and it looks like the axles will be here on Thursday. I think we're good, but I appreciate all of the help and the additional sources for other products in the future! Thank you! :bigups:



ZebsRacing
Journeyman
Journeyman
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:31 pm
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Re: Best axles for a "by the rules car"?

Post by ZebsRacing » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:28 pm

I got a hobby lobby that stocks those revell axels, prepping those bad boys is half the fun, but then again. Those axels arent ever going to set the track on fire.



Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend
Posts: 1333
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:48 pm
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Best axles for a "by the rules car"?

Post by Speedster » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:48 am

Don't be too sure. Remember, the axle doesn't turn. You are going to use a very, very small area of the axle. Now think about the wheel bore. This is where you want to spend your time. Novus 2, maybe Liquid Glass, polish, polish, polish. Check out Derbytalk's great "Search" function.
As a side note, a few years ago a scout was caught with bent axles at our District race. That is against our rules. I gave him a set of raw BSA axles. He stuck them in the car and went on to win First place. I know his father well. He is one of our Townships trustees.



ZebsRacing
Journeyman
Journeyman
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:31 pm
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Re: Best axles for a "by the rules car"?

Post by ZebsRacing » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:36 pm

Thank you for your info, the more I learn from the wisdom of others, God willing, I will be able to pass to my sons good knowledge that will pass with each generation.

Speedster, you said bore prep.. In you experience, does tapping the bore give any advantage.



Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend
Posts: 1333
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:48 pm
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Best axles for a "by the rules car"?

Post by Speedster » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:38 pm

No it does not. Polish them with Novus 2 and then a couple of coats of Liquid Glass. You might have to get both of these on the Internet.



ZebsRacing
Journeyman
Journeyman
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:31 pm
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Re: Best axles for a "by the rules car"?

Post by ZebsRacing » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:12 pm

Well im a sitting duck on that one this year, but Ill certainly look into it for next year, I worry about those "axel polishing" methods that tend to not intermix well with graphite, as I dont know if a cubmasyer is just going to start putting dust on everybodys axels to test for the cars with oil or whatever. Should I really be worried about that?



Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend
Posts: 1333
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:48 pm
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Best axles for a "by the rules car"?

Post by Speedster » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:47 am

I don't think so. I hope your District doesn't go that far.



S1C EM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:28 am
Location: Athens, GA

Re: Best axles for a "by the rules car"?

Post by S1C EM » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:49 am

Speedster, are the polishing methods you list compatible with graphite?

The rules in mine are STRICT. Essentially, if you do it by the book, every part you use has to come from the "original" kit and absolutely NO we'll modifications are allowed outside of sanding burrs.



User avatar
Vitamin K
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head
Posts: 980
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:26 pm
Location: Montgomery County, MD
Contact:

Re: Best axles for a "by the rules car"?

Post by Vitamin K » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:18 am

S1C EM wrote:Speedster, are the polishing methods you list compatible with graphite?

The rules in mine are STRICT. Essentially, if you do it by the book, every part you use has to come from the "original" kit and absolutely NO we'll modifications are allowed outside of sanding burrs.
Are you allowed to polish the wheel bores? That's what the Novus does. A Tamiya swab (87106) does well for this.

Liquid glass is compatible with graphite. I would make sure that you let it cure for 8 hours before going to the graphite burnishing step, personally.



Post Reply