BSA Wheels and axles

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

BSA Wheels and axles

Post by Speedster »

I'm going to take a guess. It appears wheels change about every 10 years. Somewhere near, 1986, 1999, 2009, and we are now very close to 2019. Someone always seems to know something. Are we going to get some new wheels that come out of new molds, lighter, more streamlined, and I'll be able to buy them before we race in February 2019?

I'd like the BSA to give the scouts a nice clean axle to help level the field. Who can I write to?
Thank you.
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: BSA Wheels and axles

Post by Loud2ns »

Tell them you want AWANA axles(they are actually small hinge pins). They polish up real nice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

An improved axle would be aces!

Also, I'd like them to start putting some kind of witness marks on the inner tread of the wheel, so as to better detect people removing material with a lathe or similar.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

All good ideas.

Maximum Velocity already has the perfect nail (for me) with his 4094 nail. Unfortunately, the head is not a perfect match to the BSA nail but if that were the BSA nail everyone would be the same. Let me quickly say, "I do not like the blunt end of anyones nail". I know, I know, Randy Davis is going to get on here and say they're easy to install. He already told me that but they were not easy for me when I had to install a bunch of them.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

I know not everybody's rules allow for it, but slotting the head of the axle makes installation sooooo much easier.

I do like MV's axles a lot, but if they could just get a little bit thicker (e.g. like Awana axles), I'd love them even more. :)
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

The reason for the size of our speed axles is to fit in BSA-size slots and holes. If the diameter was larger then they would be too tight. Awana axles are larger, but so are the slots on the Awana block.

A better solution would be for BSA to reduce the diameter of the wheel bore to better fit it axle.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

MaxV wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:28 am The reason for the size of our speed axles is to fit in BSA-size slots and holes. If the diameter was larger then they would be too tight. Awana axles are larger, but so are the slots on the Awana block.

A better solution would be for BSA to reduce the diameter of the wheel bore to better fit it axle.
That'd be even nicer!

Since you raised the possibility, why aren't the Max-V wheels made with tighter bores, then?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Reducing the size of the wheel bore would actually work against some of our builds, though I suppose I could grind the axle down.
We are required to have the wheels sit straight up and down and square to the block. Our rear wheels and Right Front wheel are riding on a nail with 1 1/2 degrees of camber. Because of the clearance between the nail and the bores the wheels sit straight enough to get by all the inspectors - So Far. Also, I've got over 500 Walgreen cotton swabs and I like using the shafts to polish the bores. We also use them at our workshops. It wouldn't be so bad but my wife insists on using the Q-tip brand and both brands would then not work for bore polishing.

OK, I'm willing to go along with everybody. I'm sure no matter what changes might be made there will be a way for builders following science to make it work to their advantage.
I'm looking forward to an exciting racing year and I hope everyone else is too.
I wish you all the very Best.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

Since you raised the possibility, why aren't the Max-V wheels made with tighter bores, then?
I set the bore size to the smallest it could be and still fit the Pro-Hub Tool.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

MaxV wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:35 am
I set the bore size to the smallest it could be and still fit the Pro-Hub Tool.
Ah, hadn't thought of that.

Sadly kind of forces everything down to a lowest common denominator, but what can ya do, right? :)