Polishing AWANA axles

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Ratrodsrule1
Pine Head
Pine Head

Polishing AWANA axles

Post by Ratrodsrule1 »

I've never used a file on AWANA axles as they are fairly smooth and basically slag free from the factory. Because the availability of single sheets at my local Napa ends at 1500 grit, my go to polishing sequence is 400 wet followed by wet 6,8,1000,1200,1500 for the shaft and under the head then finishing with Monkey Jam. Awana allows dry lube only. The bores are polished with Novus 2 using 87106 {1/8th spear) Tamiya Swabs.

Apparently I'm doing something incorrect because I seemingly end up with a bit more bore to axle play than desired. I only use the 4 thru 800 for a 10-12 count at low to medium drill speed with light pressure. Then around a 20 count at medium speed with the 1000 and up to 1500. I've found a 3M assortment pack consisting of wet/dry 1000,1500,2000,2500. Any thoughts about skipping the 4 thru 8 and use the assortment pack beginning with 1000 thru 2500 and continue finishing with the Monkey Jam ? Or, possibly sharing your protocol for Awana axles.Thanks in advance. Great Forum !!
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Polishing AWANA axles

Post by Loud2ns »

Ratrodsrule1 wrote:I've never used a file on AWANA axles as they are fairly smooth and basically slag free from the factory. Because the availability of single sheets at my local Napa ends at 1500 grit, my go to polishing sequence is 400 wet followed by wet 6,8,1000,1200,1500 for the shaft and under the head then finishing with Monkey Jam. Awana allows dry lube only. The bores are polished with Novus 2 using 87106 {1/8th spear) Tamiya Swabs.

Apparently I'm doing something incorrect because I seemingly end up with a bit more bore to axle play than desired. I only use the 4 thru 800 for a 10-12 count at low to medium drill speed with light pressure. Then around a 20 count at medium speed with the 1000 and up to 1500. I've found a 3M assortment pack consisting of wet/dry 1000,1500,2000,2500. Any thoughts about skipping the 4 thru 8 and use the assortment pack beginning with 1000 thru 2500 and continue finishing with the Monkey Jam ? Or, possibly sharing your protocol for Awana axles.Thanks in advance. Great Forum !!
See if this works good for you.
Try 2000 for 5 seconds followed by the 2500 for 10 seconds. Use water and rinse good between grits. Use your polish last until very smooth. Remember you can't overpolish the head! Especially the rears if canting them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ratrodsrule1
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ratrodsrule1 »

Loud2ns thanks for the suggestion. Will do as you specified with the 2000 and 2500. Headed downhill, but in a good way. Thanks and I'd like to give you something in return. A quote you may want to use one day if you haven't heard it already. A quote from Smokey Yunick, the famous old school Chevy Small Block guru. It's always correct to compete within the rules (which i do) but his famous quote was "You're not racing the guy next to you, you're racing the rule book". Happy Trails and good luck my friend !!
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

Ratrodsrule1 wrote:Loud2ns thanks for the suggestion. Will do as you specified with the 2000 and 2500. Headed downhill, but in a good way. Thanks and I'd like to give you something in return. A quote you may want to use one day if you haven't heard it already. A quote from Smokey Yunick, the famous old school Chevy Small Block guru. It's always correct to compete within the rules (which i do) but his famous quote was "You're not racing the guy next to you, you're racing the rule book". Happy Trails and good luck my friend !!
Good luck on the race!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

For Awana axles, we start with 1000 grit, 10 seconds, then 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000. Wipe clean between each grit. Finish with some Brasso or Mother's Mag polish on a strip of cloth or leather.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

I like your Ideas Guy's!

You might also try turning the axles in your drill in this manner..
to help cut down on the sanding shards or small burrs left from grinding the axles with sanding paper.
counter-clockwise for the right side axles. .. And then clock wise for the left side axles.
http://www.lastufka.net/lab/cars/html/axlplish.htm
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

What is the diameter of an Awana axle and does it have a coating? Maybe Zinc?

I'd like to start with sharing a little information. Autobody repairman will run their flat hand over the area where a filler (Bondo) meets the metal. Why do they do that? They do that because the tips of the fingers are very, very sensitive. The tips of the fingers tell them if the area is smooth or at least smooth enough for Primer Surfacer. Primer SURFACER is a building product like Bondo. Once it's blocked out the fingers will tell if it's ready for paint. Paint will not hide an imperfection, it will magnify it.

OK, we all agree the nail does not turn. We are going to use a very tiny area of the nail for the bore to ride on.
Hold a nail by the head and take your other hand using the tips of your thumb and fore finger and run your fingers up and down the shaft. Does it feel nice and smooth? I suspect it does. The same you would do on a BSA axle. You would feel the casting marks which you can actually see. We're not going to use that part of the nail anyway but we're talking about an Awana nail. If you need a lathe or a file to correct an imperfection on an Awana nail I suggest you throw it away. Now, what is it exactly a racer is trying to achieve by grinding away on that nail starting at 600 grit wet paper and then climbing up to 3000 grit wet ?

What if the racer simply polished the nail with Brasso where the wheel hub will ride, clean the nail good with water and maybe a soft tooth brush, dry the nail good and then put it in 91% alcohol (Walmart) for 15 minutes to remove any moisture. That's the way my scouts do it. We have never Won or lost a race because of the nail.

Prepping the wheel is an exciting Topic. I'll really pay attention on that. That's where the speed is.