Inexpensive Weights

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Inexpensive Weights

Post by gpraceman »

I found out awhile back that Harbor Freight has some weights that are inexpensive and easy to add to a derby car. I found these in my local HF. These are the same type of weights that we used for the Ford Fast Track racing series for Girl Scouts and worked beautifully. These weights are normally used for balancing the wheels of real cars. They come in 1/4 ounce increments, so it is easy to figure out how many segments you need. They have double sided foam tape on the back, so just peel and stick to the car. These are zinc plated steel, so no worries about lead. Not as dense as tungsten, of course, but they are far less expensive. A $8.99 package of these has 12 oz of weights. Enough to do several cars.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quart ... 67225.html

Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Inexpensive Weights

Post by whodathunkit »

Cool idea Randy!
Another alternative for some inexpensive weights..
May be to use 3/8" steel round rod that can be cut to size and found in most hard ware stores as well.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-8-in-x-36 ... /204273959
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

whodathunkit wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:03 pm Cool idea Randy!
Another alternative for some inexpensive weights..
May be to use 3/8" steel round rod that can be cut to size and found in most hard ware stores as well.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-8-in-x-36 ... /204273959
That's a possibility, but cutting it up could be time consuming. What I like about he segmented weights are how fast you can get the car up to weight. All you need is a pair of scissors to cut the foam tape backer.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

gpraceman wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:01 amA $8.99 package of these has 12 oz of weights.
I recently saw these in a local HF, now at $9.99. However, if one uses their 20%- or 25%-off coupon (usually issued around holiday weekends), this becomes pretty cost effective and convenient for those near a local HF retail store.

I still have on-hand plenty of adhesive segmented lead (currently $12.75 for 12 oz from Maximum Velocity). If one is able to tolerate the use of lead (Pb) and doesn't have the HF coupon, the lead segments seem like an appealing option as well...