Seminole Trails District How-To-Guide

The creation and maintenance of a "How-To Guide" that explains the concepts, gives instruction on what to do, how to do it, and covers the reasoning behind the rules.

Moderator: gpraceman

Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Seminole Trails District How-To-Guide

Post by Nitro Dan »

Here's an example of one that I ran across and downloaded over at Seminole Trails District (Florida) site:

http://seminoletrails.com/district/wp-c ... 809rev.pdf

An interesting concept and very well done. Although 21 pages does seem a bit lengthy (and pricey if you have to make a lot of copies), it is a great way of getting the point across. I do wonder how many of the parents would actually take the time to read it.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Seminole Trails District How-To-Guide

Post by ah8tk »

That was created by one of our own, pack529holycross. It is here: 08-09 DRAFT of rulebook
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

In performing the duties of a PWD chairman for all three levels of competition ( Pack / District / Council ), I wanted to step back a bit last year and consider what was needed to increase the level of consistency, fairness, and competitive equality within the activity. I also wanted to cast the widest net possible as far as skill level and experience.

The one thing that I really concentrated on was keeping the guide closer to the look of a "program" rather than a restrictive, presumptive tech paper. I started compiling snippets of content over the summer, and started circulating working drafts at the beginning of September. The original draft is 42 pages, in my ever so horibbly "wordy" style. I then went through and pared down the verbage, tweaking the layout, and hunting through microsoft office online for some icons and stuff to tie it all together visually. The "grey" areas I really wanted to tackle were wheel specs, body specs, and precut bodies for tigers. Certainly there has been a tremendous amount of healthy debate that has gone into the Guide, and as always, it evolves with the activity.

I need to pare down the essentials into a "one-off" single sheet or two page summary of important specs, but I am comfortable with comprehensive vs. printing costs, because I deliver the doc electronically. We have two or three copies avail at the event.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

We are having our Event Planning and Rules approval meeting this Saturday -- the final version of this years event guide will be on our 2010 site

http://2010derby.futureeagles.com

as always, anyone desiring a modifyable version of the doc to use for your event are welcome to contact me for a copy in word format.

Nicholas