How-To Guide: The Idea

The creation and maintenance of a "How-To Guide" that explains the concepts, gives instruction on what to do, how to do it, and covers the reasoning behind the rules.

Moderator: gpraceman

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

How-To Guide: The Idea

Post by gpraceman »

Warren (aka Mr. Slick) has been rather busy running races as of late, so I will kick off this new forum.

Warren came up with the idea to basically take "The Rules" and turn them more into a "How-To Guide" format that is kid friendly. As most of you know, many adults have had far too much of contribution towards their kid's cars. Hopefully, this effort will help improve the involvement of the kids by showing them and their adult partner how they can go about building their car.

The intent is to allow things that the kids can do and to get rid of things that are hard for kids to achieve. One example of that is "four on the floor".

With the majority of the races being run for Cub Scouts, the effort was going to start off geared to BSA races. Once this is hammered out, versions could be made for Awana and other organizations.
Mr Slick wrote:One thing I keep reminding myself is that Don Murphy created Pinewood Derby to fill a need - as things have changed it is ok for us to change parts of the program to continue to fulfill the objectives and not get stuck in practices/rules/other things that are purely historical.
We will start with the rules for Northern Star council 2010 race season.
http://www.pwdracing.com/cbd_rules_2007.html

If you are interested in this effort, feel free to participate in the discussions in this forum. Members of the PWDRacing forum will also be contributing to this effort, on their forum.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
12yearsrunning
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: How-To Guide: The Idea

Post by 12yearsrunning »

If you are interested in this effort, feel free to participate in the discussions in this forum. Members of the PWDRacing forum will also be contributing to this effort, on their forum.
I happened across your forum and would be glad to assist in any way I can. I am very familiar with the Northern Star rules you reference and their interpretation.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How-To Guide: The Idea

Post by gpraceman »

12yearsrunning wrote:I happened across your forum and would be glad to assist in any way I can. I am very familiar with the Northern Star rules you reference and their interpretation.
The more the merrier :D

BTW - :welcome:
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.