RaceMaster IV Communication Issues

Commercial timing systems
10range
Pine Head
Pine Head

RaceMaster IV Communication Issues

Post by 10range »

Hello all, I am hoping to pick your brains :thinking:

We are hoping to hold an Awana race this year for the first time in a couple of years. We are using a RaceMaster IV timer and have been using GrandPrix Race Manager V10.0. Last night I tested the setup on two different computers and neither would communicate with the timer.

Some of the details that I know. The timer itself appears to be functioning correctly. I can start it, stop it with the photo sensors and rest as normal.

We are using a usb to serial connector (Not sure on brand, has a blue translucent connector). When I plug the connector into the computer, it appears to connect and install correctly. On both computers I tried, when I am in GPRM, on the hardware setup screen, the software appears to recognize the adapter correctly. On both computers I tried two different USB ports. One the software recognized as COM3 and the other as COM5. This was consistent and repeatable on both computers. The software also recognized when no connector was available. When I try to test the connection is says that it can not communicate with the timer.

The older computer is the one we used for the last race we ran and had no issues. Since that point, the timer has been sitting in indoor storage under a stairway at church and I am confident that no one has messed with it. I suspect either the serial adapter or the timer board have an issue but I do not have an extra of either at this point to test. Any ideas on what to check? My hope was to be able to replace the whole timing system but at this point that is not in our budget.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RaceMaster IV Communication Issues

Post by gpraceman »

Make sure to do the "Paperclip Test" from the software's help file to make sure that your port is actually working. There's other good troubleshooting information in the help file.

Please note, Version 10 is no longer supported. Only Versions 13 and above are currently supported. Version 18 is the latest.

Please also note that the company that made that timer is no longer in business. So, hopefully, you are not having a problem with the timer itself.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
10range
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by 10range »

Thanks for the advice. I did not realize the help section had so much info!

I was able to do the paper clip test and it showed everything was functioning as it should. I then hooked the timer back up again just to double check my results from the previous night. After a few seconds, the software recognized the timer and started communicating like normal! Not sure if doing the paper clip test triggered something in the computer or if it was just a glitch in the timer/software communication. The other thing that was different last night was that I took extra care to keep the power and data cables separate during the test. Not sure if there may have been some cross talk on my initial test.

I am going to give it another try tonight to make sure it is still working and give me a bit more piece of mind that all is working for the race.

Now that we have the timer working, I may be able to convince the powers that be to let me upgrade to version 18. Is this more stable working on a windows 10 machine?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Glad you got it working. Low voltage cables running next to high voltage cords can certainly cause problems with timer communications. I always run my low voltage cables on one side of the track and the extension cord on the other side. That and don't run an extension cord under a metal track.

With each new version, we do try to make it more robust.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.