SmartLine Timers

Commercial timing systems
aeroknut
Apprentice
Apprentice

SmartLine Timers

Post by aeroknut »

Does anyone have any experience/input on the Smartline Timer @ http://www.etekgadget.com/? It appears to be comprable to the MicroWizard product, and cheaper.
michael4262
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: SmartLine Timers

Post by michael4262 »

Not sure about the Smartline Timer, but we just purchased the Microwizard K2 Kit with electronic interface and it was about $20 cheaper delivered then the Smartline 4 lane. It did take me about 1 1/2 hours to put it together and test it, with my 3 boys help of course :mrgreen: .... I would definitely recommend the Microwizard product from a compact, well engineered and stability perspective. They seem to know what they are doing over there! Well, just thought I'd toss in my 2 cents on the Microwizard, maybe someone else has worked with the Smartline Timer. Good luck and Happy New Year!
- Mike
aeroknut
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by aeroknut »

Thanks for the feedback Michael,

Since you are the first to respond, I'd like to bounce some more info off you, for your feedback. We are looking at a 4 lane timer, and using GPrx Race Managment Software.

Since we live in Kwaj I know the shipping will be outrageous, but should be similar so I'm throwing that out of my comparison.

SmartLine 4L-$289, Double Sided view-$369

K2 Kit 4L-$305 ($240+35+10+10+10) Dbl Side-$545

I am not convinced we will do the dbl sided view, but if we decide to upgrade later, it seems MUCH easier and cheaper with Smartline. In addition, I added the additional prices to the K2, because it appears as though they would be required to make the product comparable to the SmartLine, though I am not sure. Have you done any test runs and are you using software?
aeroknut
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by aeroknut »

For the benefit of anyone who may be following this thread, I guess I just found the answer to my question.

I just found a place in the help file for my GPrx Race Manager that does a side by side comparison of the various timer features. It confirmed the details of my previous post.

I was trying to find a way to post the chart here as I found it VERY helpful and wish I had found it a week or so ago. I may have a timer by now. Anyway, I was unable, and I was unable to find the chart on the GPrx Website. sorry....

Looks Like I'll be going with the SmartLine...I'll keep ya posted...

Rob
michael4262
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by michael4262 »

Let us know how the Smartline timer works out Rob... BTW, we have run some basic testing of the Microwizard Timer (didn't purchase any of the additional pc options) with GPRM software and it seems to work great. Our derby is at the end of the month and I can't wait to run the whole new setup. :mrgreen:
- Mike
aeroknut
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by aeroknut »

Ok, here is how it went down.

Didn't have the money for the Smartline. Found plans to go shopping at Radio Shack, get a bag of parts for $70 and make due with a gun(solder) and a prair. Having virtually NO solder experience I did not like that idea.

Micorwizard offered pretty much the same thing, just no shopping at Radio Shack. TheY send you a bag of parts for about $90. Fortunately they also have an option where they did "most" of the construction for you,

THANK YOU MICRO WIZARD!!!

While waiting for the pieces/parts, I started building a case of my own design out of scrap wood cost-$.00

The parts arrive in about two weeks (normal for out here in Kwaj). The instructions for the K1 Super cheap kit-assembled were not real clear so there was some confusion as to what parts-exactly I needed to buy to make it all work. MAKE SURE YOU ASK EXPLICIT QUESTIONS IF YOU GO THIS ROUTE. After a helpful and clarifyng calls to Micro Wizard I was soldering away.

With virtually no soldering exprience, I was able to construct the electronics portion in a few hours. I probably could have done it quicker, but I was being VERY cautious since I knew I couldn't go to the local Radio Shack for parts.

We ran the race this weekend and it went FLAWELESSLY! The K1SCK interfaced with our GPRM software and we ran 43 heats in ONE HOUR!

All for the grand total price (timer and homemade wooden case) of about $110.

THANK YOU MICRO WIZARD!