Not communicating to Racemaster IV via computer (COM1)

Commercial timing systems
WISD10
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not communicating to Racemaster IV via computer (COM1)

Post by WISD10 »

We recently bought a Racemaster IV (from AWANA) to go with our alum. track for our upcomming Grand Prix. The Racemaster works great stand-alone. But being a computer geek, I wanted to hook up the Racemaster to the computer, along with GrandPrix Race Manager (GREAT software!!) so we could run an efficient race.

Wanted to test the system before the race and I first tried communicating with the Racemaster via my laptop (USB to serial). I use this connection to communicate with wireless AP's to configure them via serial port. But am unable to get a session with the Racemaster. I used Hyperterminal and TeraTerm Pro with no success. Yes, all the settings are to spec for the Racemaster. I even tried this on a PC with "actual" COM ports and get the same issue, I am not getting the Racemaster console.

I also have tried communicating to the Racemaster via GrandPrix Race Manager. I have the correct COM port selected in the hardware settings and even do a test and get a green light, but nothing comes up in the console window, even with sending a commnad to the Racemaster.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I wanted to find out what my next step should be? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
WISD10
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Not communicating to Racemaster IV via computer (COM1)

Post by WISD10 »

Anyone???? Is this too difficult a question, or have I done everything possible except returning the finishline?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Sorry. Looks like I missed responding to this earlier.

First, make sure you are running the lastest update for your version of GPRM. If your PC is connected to the Internet, go to the help menu (not the help file) and select the Check for Software Updates option.

These are the latest updates based on version:
V5.0.3
V4.0.7
V3.0.10
V2.0.17

If your version is up to date, please email me your HardwareDebug.log file. This file is located in the program's main directoy and logs all communication between the timer and the software.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
WISD10
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by WISD10 »

Just e-mailed you the log file. Thanks for the reply.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

From the communications log, there is absolutely nothing coming from the timer at all.

You can try this test in the Hardware Setup screen:
1. Disconnect the timer end of the cable, keeping the cable connected to your computer.
2. Use a paperclip or small piece of wire to connect Pin 2 to Pin 3 (look for the numbers on the connector)
3. Click on the Start Test button in the hardware setup screen
4. Type anything into the Command box
5. Click on the Send button

Do you see that command showing up in the Timer Input box?

If so, then your serial port is working correctly.

If not, use a multimeter to test your cable to make sure that it is a "straight through" cable (each numbered pin goes to the same numbered pin on the other end of the cable). A "Direct Connect" cable will not work since Pins 2 and 3 are reversed on one end to allow two computers to talk to each other.

If the port is fine, the cable is fine and you are absolutely sure you have the correct port selected, then you need to contact JIT, Inc., the timer manufacturer.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Steve,

Were you able to resolve the communication problem?
Randy Lisano

Stephen's Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Stephen's Dad »

We had a similar problem with our first trials today. The problem turned out to have nothing to do with GRRM vers 5.0.

To hook our Micro-Wizard timer (9 pin Serial port) to my new Dell Inspiron (USB ports) required an adapter. I purchased the Belkin model ($70 Yikes!) at Comp USA. The Dell wouldn't recognize the "new found hardware" without running the Belkin provided installation CD. But even after running the CD the laptop couldn't locate the data. It kept looking at "Com3". However after running the CD, GPRM vers 5.0 suddenly had a new place to look. "Com4" had the needed data & all is good now.
The man who stands tallest is the man who bends to help a child.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Stephen's Dad wrote:The Dell wouldn't recognize the "new found hardware" without running the Belkin provided installation CD.
Unfortunately, these devices are not plug-and-play, but many people assume them to be. You need to install the driver that they come with to get them to work.
Stephen's Dad wrote:But even after running the CD the laptop couldn't locate the data. It kept looking at "Com3". However after running the CD, GPRM vers 5.0 suddenly had a new place to look. "Com4" had the needed data & all is good now.
With an adapter, it is best to plug it into the exact same USB port every time. Otherwise, you will have to install the driver again to use it on another USB port. The first time you install the driver, it may assign that particular USB port as COM3 and when you set it up on another USB port, it may assign that port as COM4. Best to use the same USB port everytime so you don't have to go back into GPRM and change the port that the timer is on.

The GPRM help file has been updated to include the following tips for using a USB to Serial adapter (or USB timer).
If you are using a USB to Serial Adapter or a USB timer:
  • You MUST install the USB software driver that came with the adapter/timer. This will create a new COM port number that the software can then use.
  • Always plug the adapter into the same USB port on the computer. Otherwise, you will need to reinstall the USB driver to be able to use the adapter/timer on another port. Installing to another USB port will change the COM port number, so you may have to reconfigure the port on the Hardware Setup Options screen.
  • Make sure that the USB adapter/timer is plugged in before you try to use GrandPrix Race Manager. If it is not plugged in, then you will not see the COM port number listed on the Serial Port Timer tab of the Hardware Setup Options screen.
  • If you are not sure of the COM port number that was created, then follow these steps:
    1. Make sure the USB adapter/timer is connected to the computer
    2. Click on the Windows Start button
    3. Open up your Control Panel
    4. Double click on the System icon (WinXP users may have to switch to "Classic View" to see this icon)
    5. Go to the Hardware tab
    6. Click on the Device Manager button
    7. Look down the list for "Ports (COM & LPT)" and click on the "+" sign next to it
    8. The COM port that the adapter/timer is hooked up to may have "USB" somewhere in the port description next to the COM number or it may have the adapter's manufacturer in the port description
Randy Lisano

Stephen's Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Stephen's Dad »

Randy,

Thanks for all your help today.

Anyone who is considering the purchase of Race Management software can take my sincere & learned advice. Grand Prix Race Manager from Lisano Enterprises is top notch. Randy's support is fantastic & FAST even for the needed peripherals that he neither makes nor sells.

Support like this is why we decided to purchase GPRM version 5.0. This is the reason you can also purchase with confidence.

Thanks again,

Steve Jepsen
Cubmaster Pack 177
Stratford, CT
The man who stands tallest is the man who bends to help a child.
jpetitt1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jpetitt1 »

I have the RM4 timer coupled with GPRM v6 via a USB to serial... I was able to send test commands from GPRM but not receive timing results. After troubleshooting and ruling out GPRM, I called the person listed in the RM4 instructions manual at 10:30pm EDT and he, Tony, was very helpful. He helped resolved the issue and it works from GPRM now. He actually recognized that the RM4 was from a batch with a known issue and he told me how to address it. Thanks for the great race equipment.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

Stephen's Dad wrote:
Anyone who is considering the purchase of Race Management software can take my sincere & learned advice. Grand Prix Race Manager from Lisano Enterprises is top notch. Randy's support is fantastic & FAST even for the needed peripherals that he neither makes nor sells.

Support like this is why we decided to purchase GPRM version 5.0. This is the reason you can also purchase with confidence.
I second that ....
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

jpetitt1 wrote:He actually recognized that the RM4 was from a batch with a known issue and he told me how to address it. Thanks for the great race equipment.
What was the resolution? I've heard from someone else having the same problem.
Randy Lisano