Microwizard K1 vs. The Judge

Commercial timing systems
KeithRamey
Apprentice
Apprentice

Microwizard K1 vs. The Judge

Post by KeithRamey »

I am about to purchase a new timer for a 2 lane wooden Piantedosi track. The cost of the Microwizard K1 is a good bit less than the Judge. Any one have any experience or opinions they would like to share about either of these timers?

Also, I plan to get a new software package to use with the timer. It will probably be GPRM.

Thanks in advance!
Keith Ramey
aeroknut
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Microwizard K1 vs. The Judge

Post by aeroknut »

Hello Keith,
I just got done building the K1 SCK (super cheap kit), with the computer interface and partially assembled options. I scrounged some scrap wood and built a simple case and for around $100 I had an awesome timer.

I ran it this past weekend on a three lane wooden track. I simply left one of the sensors un-attached and when we upgrade our track next year, I can attach the sensor and we will have a 4 lane timer.

Combined with GPRM we were able to run 47 heats in ONE hour! Speaking of GPRM, if you download their trial program, one of his help files shows a side by side comparison of timers and their features.

I do not know about the Judge, but my experience with the K1 and the folks at Micro Wizard is excellent. If you do decide to do the kit-assembled option, let me know, because the one thing that is not clear on their website is the "little things" that you will need.

Also, as I was shopping for a timer, I was a little concerned about just having LED's indicate finish order when the big 1,2, and 3's look so cool. I can say that there was no confusion with the lights and everyone was very satisfied. It also helped having the Racing Screen from GPRM projected onto a screen so finish order's and times were also displayed there. This was also VERY easy thanks to GPRM.
Jthompson

Post by Jthompson »

Keith,

We opted for the K-1 kit this year and added the microswitch and serial port options. This gave us a very inexpensive timer and the capability to use GPRM and a big screen to show results. The serial output to the computer was key. The microswitch added the ability to record times. Thsi was valuable to scouts in testing their cars before the race. They could actually see what made the cars faster or slower.

With results going on the big screen, the flashing lights indicating 1st-3rd place were not as important as they would have been had we not used a projector. I highly recommend adding a microswitch and serial port output to your timer if you have not done so. It makes running the race very easy. We ran 58 heats in 47 minutes with Scouts involved in placing and retrieving cars.

Best of luck with the K-1. Ours worked flawlessly. We had a couple of heats decided by .001 second.
GILLS
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GILLS »

Keith,
Last year we purchased the K-1 kit as well for a donation to our church, and the Micowizard people were absolutely great to work with. I have the skills to build the hopusing for the timer, but when it came to the electrical side of it, all I can do is electrocute myself. :lol: :lol: They were kind enough to assemble the circut board for me for a very reasonable extra charge. I would highly recomend them over anyone else. P.S. Pay the extra $5-$6 and order the battery pack with the timer. You don't want to have kids pulling the plug out during the races! I learned this one the hard way! :lol:
Hot Rod 1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Hot Rod 1 »

Keith , we just built a new track with the K 2 Microwizard & GPRM software. unit works great . With Lazer & the K2 you run a Race without software. It tells you ETs And finish position. But the gprm is NICE.