No More Double Elimination!!
If you would like to try to do the same, here is a copy of the proposal I submitted. ( I wanted to protect our track as well)
Thanks to all the contriubitors for your great ideas!
Proposed Changes For Pinewood Derby
Change is a hard thing to do at times, but technology has offered us a chance to make Pinewood Derby racing more exciting, accurate and increasing the fun that makes it one of the most anticipated events of the year. The reasons that I would like to see some changes made are as follows:
1. Double elimination racing has a large element of chance. “Luck of the Draw” plays a large part in who is placed in what division. A scout may have his car eliminated in as little as three races.
2. Although we have a great track, there is usually a difference in how fast each lane is. With a timer and each car ran on each lane, the difference of lane speed is virtually eliminated.
3. A timer will group the cars more evenly so most every race is close. Slower cars would not look slow, giving the scout a greater sense of competition.
4. Software packages, (some are free) give us the ease of the computer setting up all the heats. These are integrated with the timer and chart the progress automatically. Most will pre-stage the next race so waiting is at a minimum. Also, position, car, rank, den, or any way we want to manipulate the data can be done easily
5. Results from the computer can be fed to a TV monitor or screen and let the audience see the results and standings in real time adding excitement to the race and keeping the spectators informed.
6. In the past, division winners were sent to Districts. The timer will allow us to send the fastest cars. The winners of past “C” divisions were most likely eliminated quickly and may have left the scout very disappointed. (Just my opinion). The scouts with the fastest cars should attend Districts and not let it be left to chance
7. Awards: 1st, 2nd and 3rd place trophies to scouts in each den along with 1st, 2nd and 3rd place trophies for top 3 Pack cars. This system will allow for more higher place trophies to be given out. Participation trophies to all scouts that do not place. Creativity awards will continue, but perhaps categories can be developed such as Most Realistic, Best Paint, Most Colorful, Tastiest, Scariest, Funniest….
8. Start gate upgrade. I would like to modify the current gate from one that is pulled open by hand to a gate that snaps open and is held closed by a latch. This will give a more consistent start. Opening speeds that vary can affect the outcome of the timed race.
9. Track protection. To insure the investment the pack has made in the track, I offer to build a case to store it in. This will help to protect it from warpage, dirt, children, or other accidental damage that is beyond our control with the track stored in a “unsecured” area. Pack to cover cost of material.