MicroWizard-Fast Track Timer: P3LCD

Commercial timing systems
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

MicroWizard-Fast Track Timer: P3LCD

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Looking at getting a MicroWizard-Fast Track P3LCD timer for a Piantedosi track that I will soon be purchasing. Anyone have any experiences with any of the MicroWizard-Fast Track timers and this one in particular? I will be getting the kit to save some money but don't think that putting it together will be a problem.

I would especially like to hear if you have coupled this timer to Randy Lisano's GrandPrix Race Manager software; as plans are to use that as well.

Da Graphite Kid
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MicroWizard-Fast Track Timer: P3LCD

Post by gpraceman »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:Looking at getting a MicroWizard-Fast Track P3LCD timer for a Piantedosi track that I will soon be purchasing. Anyone have any experiences with any of the MicroWizard-Fast Track timers and this one in particular? I will be getting the kit to save some money but don't think that putting it together will be a problem.

I would especially like to hear if you have coupled this timer to Randy Lisano's GrandPrix Race Manager software; as plans are to use that as well.

Da Graphite Kid
I have a MicroWizard K2 timer and I have tried it with the GrandPrix Race Manager Software and all works well :wink: The only thing to be aware of with the P model timers is that they only support one-way communication, so the software (GPRM or others) cannot send commands to the timer. This isn't really a problem, you just can't take advantage of some of the features that the K model timers can support, like the software being able to reset the timer and check if the start gate has been reset, among other features.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Randy,
Does this include triggering a solenoid start gate and the christmas tree lights as well?

Da Graphite Kid
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:Randy,
Does this include triggering a solenoid start gate and the christmas tree lights as well?

Da Graphite Kid
The operation of a solenoid start and light tree operate independently of a timer. The one exception that I know is SuperTimer II, which does have solenoid start gate that is triggered via the same port as the timer (I think the timer itself triggers the solenoid). For the Fast Track timers, the timer will communicate over the serial port and a solenoid and/or light tree can be controlled by the computer via the parallel port.

If you have specific GPRM questions, you can email or PM me or post them in the Derby Products and Services forum.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
KLenort
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by KLenort »

Da Graphite Kid wrote: I have a MicroWizard K2 timer and I have tried it with the GrandPrix Race Manager Software and all works well :wink: The only thing to be aware of with the P model timers is that they only support one-way communication, so the software (GPRM or others) cannot send commands to the timer. This isn't really a problem, you just can't take advantage of some of the features that the K model timers can support, like the software being able to reset the timer and check if the start gate has been reset, among other features.
Hey ! It doesn't mention that on MW website ! I'm prepared to order the P1 (w/PS,RS,PB, and SC options) because my pack didn't feel the need to spend extra money just to have a digital display.... we're gonna have that using Grand Prix software. Are you saying I will need to assign a job on raceday to reset the timer after each run ? I was expecting it to reset itself ! :o
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

KLenort wrote:Hey ! It doesn't mention that on MW website ! I'm prepared to order the P1 (w/PS,RS,PB, and SC options) because my pack didn't feel the need to spend extra money just to have a digital display.... we're gonna have that using Grand Prix software. Are you saying I will need to assign a job on raceday to reset the timer after each run ? I was expecting it to reset itself ! :o
With a P model timer, this just means that GPRM cannot tell the timer to reset itself. You reset the timer by closing the start gate before the next heat starts, which is something that you have to do anyway.

Also, if you have a car that doesn't finish, then you have to close the start gate to get the timer to send the times for the cars that did finish. If you have this scenario and a K model timer, you can press Escape and GPRM will query the existing times from the timer and then display them.

With K model timers, GPRM and other race software can send commands to the timer to get it to do different things, like reset the display, check if the start gate is open, and so on. You just need to decide whether you really want those extras or can just live without them.
Randy Lisano

Watch-out-for-that-frog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Watch-out-for-that-frog »

We received our new six lane GP2: K2 Timer Grand Prix Package WITH THE NEW LED version of the RTD - Remote Time Display
Fits any model timer that has the PS option. http://www.microwizard.com/timeraccessories.html

Tested it tonight WOW is all I can say a really HIGH quality timer. The new LED time display will be a BIG hit on the market.
Smooth Sailing,
Karlton
Former Pack Master of Pinewood Disaster
GILLS
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GILLS »

Da Graphite Kid, I purchased a MW flashing finish line kit for my church. We run the race software to handle running times. If you think you could have the slightest problem assembling the elctronic components, call MW and talk to them about assembling just the circut board for you. They were kind enough to charge me a very fair price for this when I purchased my kit. Don't make the mistake I made with the power source. I took the standard electric cord, and after the first race with people constantly tripping on the cord and it coming unplugged, the I realized that the battery pack is the way to go. Good luck with it, MW is a great company that makes a great product! :D :D
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Gills,

I bailed out and went with the pre-assembled kit to save some time. Assembly would not have been an issue as I have been an Electronics Tech for some 23 years now.

We went with the 120VAC adapter for power and have not had any problems. We run an extension cord down the length of the track and tape the rest to the floor. So far no one has tripped! :mrgreen:

Da Graphite Kid
dave4him
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by dave4him »

Gills said:
I took the standard electric cord, and after the first race with people constantly tripping on the cord and it coming unplugged, the I realized that the battery pack is the way to go.
Duct tape brother, duct tape. Don't leave home without it :!:

We always route our COM cable and extention cord for the MW timer together, neatly taping and securing them around the stop section of track, making a direct line to the computer table. 200 MPH tape will do the job :wink:
David L. Barnes
"Reaching boys and girls with the Gospel of Christ, to train them to serve Him"