Single Lane Timer

Commercial timing systems
ninjarabbi1997
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Single Lane Timer

Post by ninjarabbi1997 »

I am hoping to purchase a single lane test track and wanted an inexpensive timer that I didn't have to put together. I don't need it to feed the data into a computer. I am looking at the Newbold T1000. Anyone have any input or better ideas?

Thanks.
Love God. Love People. Pass it On.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Single Lane Timer

Post by MaxV »

I have a single lane timer from New Directions (The Judge), and it works great. You can find it at:
http://www.newdirections.ws/faq.htm#Q13
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

In addition to the one lane timers from NewBold and New Directions, you could always buy a two lane timer and just not use one of the lanes.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

gpraceman wrote:In addition to the one lane timers from NewBold and New Directions, you could always buy a two lane timer and just not use one of the lanes.
...or you could drill another hole just past the transition and check times coming off of the hill with the extra sensor.
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Mike Parrish wrote:...or you could drill another hole just past the transition and check times coming off of the hill with the extra sensor.
With the NewBold timer, that would be easily done with some extra length of wire. Not so on any of the other commercial timers, since hte sensors are mounted to a circuit board or inside of an enclosure.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
PW Grasshopper
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PW Grasshopper »

If you are considering The Judge and want to save a few bucks try contacting him. I know he has some orphan parts sometimes and might be able build you one. I recall it being $20-30 less than a new one?
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucious
mbb
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by mbb »

Im doing the same thing for a cheap test track I plan to build. What Im thinking of doing is using a $17 stopwatch that do 1/1000 of a second. I will open the case and solder wires to the start and lap switches,, then feed them out of the case. I dont see any reason it cant work. Theoretically, it could do 2 lanes using the lap switch, but not tell you which was the faster.
"RAILHUGGER"
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by "RAILHUGGER" »

Look at www.swan-tech.com they offer a one lane timer board that is complete all you do is build a tower/stand for it , they supply you with radio shack part numbers for micro switch,lamp and 6volt adapter along with instructions the cost is $35.00. I've had mine for a year and it has performed flawlessly.

Hope this helps Tim
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

[quote=""RAILHUGGER""]Look at www.swan-tech.com they offer a one lane timer board that is complete all you do is build a tower/stand for it , they supply you with radio shack part numbers for micro switch,lamp and 6volt adapter along with instructions the cost is $35.00. I've had mine for a year and it has performed flawlessly.[/quote]
One thing to note on this timer, it does not have a computer interface, if that makes any difference to you.
Last edited by gpraceman on Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randy Lisano

TimF
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TimF »

Does anyone know what is up with the Swan-Tech site?
I to am looking for a single lane test track timer. I am not to keen on trusting myself to solder a bunch of circuit boards and resistors Etc.. and then hooking it up to my computer. So I would be looking for a time display option.

And what about the stopwatch modifying idea has anyone had success with that. It sounds like it could work for this application.

Thanks, Tim
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

You might have a more satisfying result if you search in your local area for any units that are selling previous equiptment due to an upgrade in thier system. We currently have a 3 lane Pant Oars track with a Microwizard timer and RaceView that I will need to sell, and it is likely that the entire system will go for less than $500 - maybe even less. You should check in your area for the same kind of "experienced" equiptment.

Nicholas