Start switch type Micro wizard Fast Track K3 timer?

Commercial timing systems
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Start switch type Micro wizard Fast Track K3 timer?

Post by PWD »

I was curious what type of start switch does the Micro wizard Fast Track K3 timer come with by default? Is it a mechanical switch? Magnetic? etc

Thanks!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Start switch type Micro wizard Fast Track K3 timer?

Post by gpraceman »

Mechanical
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

We have two timers. One timer is a NewBold timer and it uses a spring loaded mechanical switch. The other timer is triggered by a piece of metal within the vicinity and then moving away. I really don't know how it works.

I was surprised to find that cars are .0150 faster with the mechanical switch. Basically it takes .0150 seconds for the mechanical switch to trigger. The start peg is spring loaded and the two switches are placed at the same location. I find this significant.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

PWD wrote:We have two timers. One timer is a NewBold timer and it uses a spring loaded mechanical switch. The other timer is triggered by a piece of metal within the vicinity and then moving away. I really don't know how it works.

I was surprised to find that cars are .0150 faster with the mechanical switch. Basically it takes .0150 seconds for the mechanical switch to trigger. The start peg is spring loaded and the two switches are placed at the same location. I find this significant.
Your second switch sounds like a magnetic one. With magnetic switches, I believe that there is a certain distance that the two switch parts need to be from each other before the start is recognized. This may account for the time difference that you see between the two types of switches.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by tmbnorm »

Our Microwizard K2 uses a microswitch that is mounted to the side of the track. The Piantedosi start gate is spring loaded. I think this is the best way to get consistent times.

The track that was used at our district used a laser gate that was about 5 inches in front of the cars. The start gate was not spring loaded, so the start was dependant upon the person flipping the pegs over.
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

The K3 Grand Prix Kit that I just received has a Laser Start Gate and the mechanical switch (I think?) with it. :?:

My Piantedosi Freedom hasn't arrived yet so I don't know what all is there. When I get to assembling it I will find some answers and I am sure I will have many questions! :shock:

Lynn
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director