Timer Ideas for a Test Track

General timing system discussions.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Timer Ideas for a Test Track

Post by gpraceman »

I know some people have their own test tracks or are considering getting or building one. To make full use of the track for testing, you need a good timer. There are some commercial and DIY timers out there that I think would work well for such a purpose.

+ Micro Wizard K1 "Cheap kit". For $50 you get a quality timer with a computer interface. You just need to assemble the electronics and build an enclosure for it. For $65 they will assemble the circuit board for you.
+ NewBold DT8000
+ Any of the DIY timers listed at http://grandprix-race-central.com/modul ... page&pid=5

If you get/build a 4 lane timer, why not put those extra 3 sensors to work at different points on the track (end of ramp, end of curve, mid straightaway)? Then you can examine car performace as your cars run down the track at the 4 different points.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Timer Ideas for a Test Track

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

I built a test track (3 lanes) and timer using the SwanTech timer module (including an aluminum tubing tower). I posted pictures a couple of years ago.

Don't get me started!! I've wanted to put timers at 1 or 2 other points. My wife would kill me!
davem
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davem »

OK, slightly off topic, but where on the track would you expect to see the biggest difference in times?

Off the top of my head, the start (inertia) and finish (stability and wheel friction) seem to be the main areas where differences in car speed is observed.

What about the transition and first part of the straightaway?
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

One of the more telling might be times from the start of the flat to the finish. That would tell you how much you're losing on the flat by guide rubs or wheel friction.

Each point Randy listed can tell you some great information on what the car is really doing. Also might help locate issues with the track setup. Locating sensors just after each joint, you could look for sporadic spikes in times.

Oh the fun you can have, and the more aspirins you're gonna need.