Need a timer that can be used on any track

Commercial timing systems
farra
Apprentice
Apprentice

Need a timer that can be used on any track

Post by farra »

I just found this site and am starting to read through all the info here. This is a great resource!

Our pack has an old homemade track that has started to warp and will need to be replaced in the near future. Our tentative plan is to buy a good timer this year and in the next year or two, when we have raised enough money, buy a new track.

I've started researching the timers a little and its easily overwhelming with all the choices and that fact that I know nothing about them! :)

Can someone suggest a good timer system that can interface with a computer (but doesn't have to) and that can be used on any track, so that we can use it for now on our old track and in the future on our new track?

Thanks for any assistance!
Farra Ringer
CC Pack 369
Lytle, TX
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need a timer that can be used on any track

Post by gpraceman »

First of all, welcome to DerbyTalk!

Do you know your current track's lane spacing? The most common lane spacing is 3-1/2" (center to center), which is what the popular track manufacturers build to. If that is what your old track is, then a timer that would work on that track will also likely work on a new track. Any of the available timers would work in that case.

If a new track is likely to have a different spacing than your old one, then you can look at the NewBold DTX000 timer. That timer's sensors are not mounted on a circuit board or in a frame, so you can use them with a track of any spacing.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
farra
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by farra »

Thanks for the reply. I just looked at our old track and they lane spacing looks more like 3.75 and they are not all perfectly evenly spaced.

The New Bold timers look nice. My only question is - Are we sacrificing anything by going with a timer like this rather than waiting to get a new track and a different timer? I think the timers with the bridge look more exciting, but the New Bold says it has a video output, so if we can make use of that, will it be just as good?

I'm very nervous about spending our pack's money. This is a HUGE purchase for our small pack, and I want to make the right decision! :) :wink:

Thanks!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

farra wrote:My only question is - Are we sacrificing anything by going with a timer like this rather than waiting to get a new track and a different timer? I think the timers with the bridge look more exciting, but the New Bold says it has a video output, so if we can make use of that, will it be just as good?
I do also like the timers that provide more of a display to the audience.

Of the commercial timers, theirs do provide the flexibility to use it with tracks of varying spacing. They do have their DerbyTV feature, but their timers do have a computer interface, so you can use race management software to display race results through a projection system or large TV.
farra wrote:I'm very nervous about spending our pack's money. This is a HUGE purchase for our small pack, and I want to make the right decision! :) :wink:
Another option is to build a timer from a kit, like the one at http://derbytimer.com/. Then you have the flexibility on how you mount the sensors to the track, and can save some money.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.