GPRM v7 No More Parallel Port

DIY timing systems
Kurt Wylde
Apprentice
Apprentice

GPRM v7 No More Parallel Port

Post by Kurt Wylde »

Last year I built the timer with the plans from this site. I believe it uses the parallel port. If I upgrade to v7, is there some way to convert the timer to a serial port?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GPRM v7 No More Parallel Port

Post by gpraceman »

Kurt Wylde wrote:Last year I built the timer with the plans from this site. I believe it uses the parallel port. If I upgrade to v7, is there some way to convert the timer to a serial port?
You must mean the plans that are posted on GrandPrix Race Central.

DerbyTimer.com has a board that you can connect your sensors to and end up with a serial timer.

GPRM will work with that timer using the custom timer setup screen. Once I have a chance to personally test against that timer, it will be added to the list of timers specifically supported.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
cleverpig
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: GPRM v7 No More Parallel Port

Post by cleverpig »

Has anyone been successful in contacting anyone at derbytimer.com? All of the kits show as backordered and emails to the admin go unanswered.
I'd like to upgrade our parallel port finish line this year with one of their boards.
Are there any other options to upgrade the electronics in a parallel port finish line?
Thanks.