Smart Line Timer System

Commercial timing systems
jbofkc
Pine Head
Pine Head

Smart Line Timer System

Post by jbofkc »

Has anyone used the Smart Line timer system?

I am leading the way to purchase a new track and timer system for our pack. I am researching the track and asked someone who works around electronics to research the timer system. He likes the Smart Line system.

Comments with this system would be appreciated. You can only learn so much from looking at a companies website. First hand or reliable second hand information is always good.

Thank you.

Matt
jbofkc
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Smart Line Timer System

Post by jbofkc »

http://www.etekgadget.com/ - SmartLine link.

Does not seem there is much experience with the SmartLine unit. What at bout the Micro Wizard K2 unit? Any feedback or personal experiences with it?

Wanting to make an educated purchase having never seen or used either timer system.

Have an awesome weekend!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

The season is a bit young for all the guys and gals to be "up and around." I looked at the specs and was surprised to see readout resolution of 0.00005 seconds, if I recall correctly. Some other mfgrs have stated that accuracy of 0.0001 is problemmatic due to a variety of factors. So, it would be worth a close look at the specs to see if they really claim to accomplish accuracy of 0.00005 sec! As I understand, the components and circuitry necessary for 50 microsecond accuracy is more expensive than most of these boxes can justify. So, check out the claims carefully.

Sorry not better help this time.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
jbofkc
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by jbofkc »

Thank you, sir.

I would agree about the flow of the racing season being a touch early. Normally, I am not thinking about things for another month when Wes begins to design his car. It has been helpful to have the foundation of the design before we get the car so we can get straight to construction.

Researching our packs new track has gotten in the groove a little early.

Take care.
Eagle Scout
"With God all things are possible!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

The SmartLine timer can actually be run at different timing resolutions (3, 4 or 5 decimal places) by sending it the appropriate command.

Anyways, if you run with a timing resolution of 0.0001 secs, you would hope it has an accuracy of +/- 0.00005 secs or better, so that last digit isn't questionable (unlike a digital scale I know). Though, I don't know why you would ever run with the timing out to 5 decimal places. I've never tried that timing resolution with that timer, but I am assuming all you would see in that last digit is a 0 or a 5, based on their accuracy claims.

I haven't heard of any complaints from my software customers about the SmartLine or Fast Track timers. Both companies make good quality timers and provide good customer service. I think it boils down to what features you want and cost.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.