MicroWizard Setup Glitches

Commercial timing systems
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

MicroWizard Setup Glitches

Post by pack529holycross »

So here I am on the first day of booting up all my new toys - Microwizard K3, GPRM, and the USB adapter that came with the Timer.

STEP #1 - I installed the Drivers for the adapter, and had a good connection established with the "virtual" serial port.

STEP #2 - I installed the Microwizard setup utility

STEP #3 - I booted the MicroWizard utility, and it gave me a window: " Make sure your Fasttrack Timer is powered up and connected to a COMM port! ( which it is )
I click OK and it gives me another window " Please Wait! " Searching COMM ports for a Fast Track Timer. Please Wait! " with a small box that has a "scanning COMM1 for 1 seconds " in it. Below is an error box: "Error:Could not set comm state, ther emay be one or more invalid communications parameters " I click OK and another box pops up ( big exclamation poit and "Stop statement encountered " I then see the utility program open, and the "Please Wait!" box is still open on my screen, although the "searching... " text is gone. THe About tab is blank, and I can click on everything else... but not much is happening.

STEP #4 - I moved the connection from the adapter to the actual serial port on the back of the PC - same results.

anyone have a similar experience>?

Nicholas
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MicroWizard Setup Glitches

Post by gpraceman »

If you have GPRM, there is no need to use the Fast Track Utility software. That software will really only be of use if you need to reload the timer's internal software.

Do you get comms with GPRM?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

ok... Update.. I reinstalled both the driver package for the USB adapter as well as the Utility from Microwizard. - now I get a connection to the utility, and it transmits times to the "test race" function on that tab.

When I open GPRM, and go to hardware setup, and select start testing, it no longer gives me an error that it cannot find the hardware, but no other functions produce any data. I tried several times, and then a "RE" appeared in the "timer data" box.. I was then able to run a "test race" function. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be translating into data being sent within the actual race schedule itself - I click the "ready button" with the remote switch depressed, it gives me the go-ahead to start the race, but no other buttons function after that, and the race data does not appear on the "racing" screen... I am certain I have an incorrect setting somewhere... thanks in advance for your assistance.'

Nicholas
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Make sure you are not trying to use GPRM and the Fast Track utility software at the same time. Only one program can use the port at a time.

Do also make sure that you are running the latest update for GPRM, which is 7.0.1227.0. You can download the update from http://grandprix-software-central.com/gprm/updates.php.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

UPDATE - D/L the latest update for GPM - looks like all the gremlins have gone home for the day. Timer is sending good data to PC, USB/Serial Adapter isn't giving any problems... On to the next fire to put out! :-)

Nicholas