USB to Serial Problem

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
Art Dunn
Apprentice
Apprentice

USB to Serial Problem

Post by Art Dunn »

For the past 5 years, we've been using GPRM along with a Microwizard timer built from a kit (Son of a Cheap Timer). I've never had any problems using it with my old laptop with a built in serial port. This year, as I am schedule to "retire" from Scouts next year, I'm turning over my racing duties to another dad. Since he does not have a serial port, I purchased a USB to Serial adapter from Amazon made by Sabrent (USC-1K). I've installed it on multiple laptops and the virtual COM port is there but I don't get any communication with the timer either through GPRM or Hyperterminal. As a test, I shorted pins 2 & 3 on the device while in Hyperterminal and I can see the echo so it appears that the device is working, it just won't talk to this timer. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Worst case, I'll just use the old laptop but I'd really like to fix this issue.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: USB to Serial Problem

Post by pack529holycross »

There can be a few different things you have to do to get the two pieces to talk to each other. I cannoy even remember what was wrong with my setup, but Randy helped me out step by step until I got it right... I use the USB adapter that came with my K3 timer.
Art Dunn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Art Dunn »

I've done some more testing and I was able to hook up a regular modem to the adapter and I can talk to it with not problem so it appears the device does work. I'm trying to figure out why a simple timer that has only pins 2 and 5 won't work. Any thoughts?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Art Dunn wrote:I've done some more testing and I was able to hook up a regular modem to the adapter and I can talk to it with not problem so it appears the device does work. I'm trying to figure out why a simple timer that has only pins 2 and 5 won't work. Any thoughts?
I take it that this is one of their older P series timers, if it only uses pins 2 and 5. Those timers can only send data. They cannot receive any commands from the software.

Try this quick test. In the Hardware Setup screen for GPRM, click on the Start Testing button. Then with the timer, unplug the power for a couple of seconds and then plug it back in. If the timer is sending data, you should see a Micro Wizard copyright statement show up in the Timer Input box.

When you did the Hyperterminal test, you indicated that you saw the characters echoing on screen. Did you see what you typed AND the returned characters? You might want to repreat that test in GPRM. Type something in the Commmand box. Short pins 2 and 3 and then click on the Send button. If all is working with the adapter, then you should see that text show up in the Timer Input box.

Are you using a cable to go from the adapter to the timer? If so, you can repeat the pin short test at the timer end of that cable to see if the cable is bad or not.

If all else fails, then it is time to give Micro Wizard a call.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
nodakindy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by nodakindy »

I am not familiar with this software at all, but have had to install USB/Serial adapters before. One thought that came to me is for you to check driver is installed and correct one for operating system.

I did a search on google for Sabrent USC-1K driver and found many downloads.

Regards,
Nodakindy