New Timer for Our 8 Lane Challenger

Commercial timing systems
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

New Timer for Our 8 Lane Challenger

Post by PWD_addict »

We have an OLD timer that we are using with our OLD 8 lane Challenger track. How does one go about choosing a new timer to replace the old one? Do we need measurements and all that stuff or are the distances between lanes standard? We are using GPRM.

Any suggestions on what may work well with this track?
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: New Timer for Our 8 Lane Challenger

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Addict,

I'm a personal fan for the MicroWizard timers. Customer service and support have always been top tier. On their site they have the list of measurements that you need to send them. The nice part is that when it comes in, it works without to much fiddling. Downside is that if you switch tracks, it may not "fit" the new track. I think all of the major timer sites are pretty much along the same lines.

Steve
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

I also prefer Microwizard.

The measurements required will probably be total track width and lane center measurements and what is the first lane center from the far edge of the track.

They do also have some custom mounts with a then strip that will fit under low profile tracks.

Very good customer service too.
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

The Challenger track is 3.75" on center.
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I think any of the timers that GPRM supports will work just fine. They all provide good timers and very good customer service.

However, are you considering replacing the track in the near future? If so, lane spacing may become a problem. Most commercial tracks are built to a 3.5" on center lane spacing. If you get a timer that has a fixed 3.75" lane spacing to match your current track, then you may need to get a new timer yet again.

I don't know offhand if any of the timer manufacturers will let you trade in a relatively new timer for a discount on another one. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to ask them. Though, I think John at New Directions might do something like that (John will correct me if I'm wrong on that point).

The only timer supported by GPRM that will work on tracks of any lane spacing is the NewBold Products DTX000 timers. The lane sensors are not mounted in a fixed position to a circuit board or crossbar. I think their Turbo model can be changed for different lane spacings, but you'd have to purchase some replacements parts.

Why is it that you want to replace your current timer?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

gpraceman wrote:Why is it that you want to replace your current timer?
I haven't witnessed it specifically, as I am usually putting up stanchions, or decorations while our Committee Chair gets the software interfacing with the track, BUT, he has stated that nearly every time we set it up, the timer has some sort of issue. This last time, the power supply shorted out. That had little to do with the timer itself, though. And was easily fixed by replacing the batteries (which had been drained).

Personally, I am not convinced that the times being provided are accurate. I had a separate thread that talked about comparing digital video recordings of certain races whose time was considerably different (up to 0.3s) than the GPRM recorded times.

I'll have to bring it up at our Committee Meeting this week to see if the CC believes it needs replacement.

Considering the cost of the timers, we should make sure that we can use the new timer on a new track.