Looking for Starting Tree plans/ideas.

Drag racing style light trees
tdpisme
Apprentice
Apprentice

Looking for Starting Tree plans/ideas.

Post by tdpisme »

I am in search of any ideas or actual plans for building the "tree" portion of the starting tree. I already have all of the electronics and electrical knowledge to complete the hard part. I have been looking for different ways to build the tree, such as what types of materials to use. (ie. wood, pvc, metal...)
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Looking for Starting Tree plans/ideas.

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

If and when I ever get to it, I had planned on building mine with metal pipe. Give it that heavy metal look (Tim Allen: Aarr, arr, arr). I am also planning on replacing the bulbs with LEDs but haven't put anything down on paper yet.

Not sure where I would mount it? On the top near the Start Gate or down at the end of the track near the Finish Line? I'm undecided but I may have to keep it within a certain distance of the computer due to voltage loss over long wires...

Da Graphite Kid
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

tdpisme wrote: am in search of any ideas or actual plans for building the "tree" portion of the starting tree. I already have all of the electronics and electrical knowledge to complete the hard part. I have been looking for different ways to build the tree, such as what types of materials to use. (ie. wood, pvc, metal...)
One of these days I'll post a picture of the tree I built. I used a square metal 2x2 post, used normally as a post for metal fencing. I got it at Home Depot. It works out well since it is painted a nice black color, hollow, square and has a plate on the bottom that can be used as a mounting to a base. I drilled out holes on opposing sides for the outdoor floodlight lamp holders. Then I drilled a set of holes on the back side to help me get the threaded nuts inside and tightened. I then blanked these holes off. It looks really good, almost like a real light tree...now to eventually finish off the electronics...
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Randy,
I like the 2X2 metal post idea better and you're right: you'll have to get a picture of it posted on your web site! :mrgreen:
tdpisme I'm sure glad you posted your question 'cause as soon as taxes come back I would have ran out and bought something else. Time to sit down and but some actual plans together instead of just winging it!

Da Graphite Kid
Tomcat14
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Tomcat14 »

I've been playing around with the idea of a Christmas tree as well. I've looked at plans but I don't want to go the parallel port route, so I made a simple circuit with a 555 timer and a 4017 decade counter. I'm stuck now on whether or not to go with light bulbs or Jumbo LED's. This project is getting more expensive if I go with light bulbs due to the 6 solid state realys I would have to buy, so I'm leaning towards LED's. Anyone have any preferences out there they would like to share??
With Christ we are all Winners!!
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Post by terryep »

How about using mechanical relays instead of solidstate?. A Z219-ND 10A, 12VDC coil $2.15ea from Digikey... might be cheaper when everything is added up. Just need a NPN to sink 33mA coil current. Dozens of LEDs and power supply will cost you plus all the extra hook up.
Terry
Tomcat14
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Tomcat14 »

Great idea, thanks, I thought they would be more expensive than that!! I'll keep you guys posted as to how it turns out.
With Christ we are all Winners!!
Watch-out-for-that-frog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Watch-out-for-that-frog »

Photos PLEASE!
Smooth Sailing,
Karlton
Former Pack Master of Pinewood Disaster