Judge timer option

Commercial timing systems
Dave Burg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Judge timer option

Post by Dave Burg »

Help guys ! It's me the rookie again.lol I hooked up our new Judge timer with the computer option,I followed the instuctions given in the earlier USB thread and my computer regonized and I had the right parameters.

The problem starts where it tells you to power up the judge and you should get a message at your hyperterminal. I'm not getting a message and I'm not quite sure if it was even right when I clicked on the hyperterminal the first time. It would pull up a new folder but nothing else seemed to happen after that. Does anyone have any advice what I might be doing wrong?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Judge timer option

Post by gpraceman »

Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

I have not sold any Judge recently to anyone in Clarion PA. I find it curious that a customer experiencing problems with a product would go to a discussion group for help, rather than the person(s) who made the products being used.
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

Oooops, it looks like I spoke too soon. Looked up Clarion on the map, and see it is close to Shippenville, and it appears that you might be my customer after all. If you give me a call, 703-319-0840, I will walk you through a session with Hyperterminal which will indicate if the Judge is working ok.
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
Dave Burg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Dave Burg »

Thanks John I will give you a call tomorrow when I can be with that computer and the judge. I wasn't trying to bypass you I just was hoping maybe it was something very simple I was missing. It always seems that someone has had the same problem with something I own so I was hoping to be able to find a quick and fast answer.
Just so you know I was at Step 7. of your instructions.I was able to check and it did show the parameters as being correct.When I had the battery put back into the judge by my assistant nothing seemed to happen. I don't know if I screwed Step 7 or not. It seemed to go downhill when I got there.
Just so you know everything else is working great and I again thank you for getting us set up.
volzjr
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by volzjr »

Just an FYI for both of you... I bought a Judge roughly a month ago, and the serial cable that was supplied was DOA. It turns out we needed the cable to be about three feet longer for our setup, so I just used a cable that we had on hand. If it turns out to be a communication problem, perhaps you can try a different cable to see if that's the problem. Just a heads up.... perhaps John got some duds in the serial cables he's received recently.
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

The serial cables I supply are standard commercial, 6 ft long. I am not aware of any being bad. If you had told me you needed a longer one, I would have included a second one free in the shipment.

You must be a little bit careful about cables. There is a cable used for printers that criscrosses two lines, although it has a DB9 male on one end and a DB9 female on the other. It is not functional in this application. Also, if you make your own cable system, remember to short pins 7 and 8 together.
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
Dave Burg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Dave Burg »

John,
Thanks again for talking me through the installation today.Everything worked fine and people loved the new E.T. capabilities.