Timer upgrade

Commercial timing systems
M Webb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Timer upgrade

Post by M Webb »

Hi.
After being involved with AWANA grand prix as a racer, builder, pit crew engineer, judge and other titles as well for the past 25 years, grand prix is not something that easily leaves your system. I have seen over the years many close finishes and am greatful for the didicated work of those who developed an electronic finish order device. A fellow who used to work for a telecommunications company developed the first one many years ago, and then a TV technician built a more updated version. First version was a simple device that would just light up the finish position for that lane. Second version would display the finish position of each lane via LCD's. Anyway, enough of the history. Since then, things have changed, people have moved on and we are ministering in different churhes with different kids programs. A new track has recentlly been built and we ran one grand prix using the old device with some new photo-sensors mounted into the track. However the old device is really old and is rather unstable. So we want to move into the 21st century of electronics for our track.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Timer upgrade

Post by gpraceman »

Since people do move on as their kids get older, I do think it helpful to have a commercially available timer. If a new race coordinator comes along and runs into a problem with the timing system, then they can contact the manufacturer and get some support. It is not always so easy to get a hold of someone that built a Do-It-Yourself system to help troubleshoot.

There are several timer manufacturers that offer good quality timers and good customer support. A good listing of those is at http://grandprix-race-central.com/modul ... page&pid=6

If your budget is rather tight, you may want to look at the timer kits offered by Micro Wizard, http://www.microwizard.com. They provide everything and you do some drilling and assembly. To save even more money, they offer their K1 timer as a "Cheap Kit". For $60US, they provide the electronic parts, you solder them together and build an enclosure to house them. For $20US more, they will do the soldering for you. Their "Son of a Cheap Kit" is even less expensive, but it does not come with any computer interface. With these kits, you get a good quality timer, support from Micro Wizard, and save a good deal of money.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
M Webb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by M Webb »

Thankyou Randy.

Hoping that I can integrate something new with our existing photo-sensors.

M Webb
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

M Webb wrote:Hoping that I can integrate something new with our existing photo-sensors.
Photo sensors generally need to be paired with appropriate valued resistors so you don't burn the sensors out and to get the right sensitivity. So, you may need to change out your sensors or resistors, if you build/buy another system. If you go with a commercial timer, I would not mess with the resistors that it comes with.

Personally, I rather like having the sensors integral to the timer. Pull off the timer and store it away. It is less likely to get the sensors damaged that way, as oppose to stored with the track.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

If you know the type of your sensors, the Microwizard kit may be just the ticket.

I have used their kit and the sensors are basically a detector on the bottom and the emitter on the top. I have changed the wires so they are phone cable plugins so I can move the timers to different locations on the test track.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I would HIGHLY recommend that you contact Stuart at Microwizard to see if he thinks things would work with your sensors. My guess is that if they are LED type sensors things should work out.
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

see my info under derby products. and pics.

Microwizard is the way to go. He really tries to work with you and they got a variety of DIY kits, that i think will do the trick for you and are low cost.

Sporty
M Webb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by M Webb »

Thanks for your valued input Sporty and Mr Slick.

I investigated the current setup today and discovered that the light source are bright LED's and the sensors are photo-senors (excuse my lack of electronic knowledge). The finish line connects to "The Box" which is about 30 years + old which is also the source of power for the LEDs in the finish line. Funnily enough it still works.
altontoth
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by altontoth »

Nice thing about solid state discreet electronics is that if they work, they work. Period. Very rarely do you end up with failures that are not simply a bad electrical connections, or dirt build up on the sensors, or whatever. I am sending you a PM with some details.
M Webb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by M Webb »

It had my brother in law up til all hours trying to locate dry joints and follow someone elses hand drawn circuit diagrams to try and fault find.
I look forward to your message.