Unused lanes for the K1 kit - question?

Commercial timing systems
DerbyNut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Unused lanes for the K1 kit - question?

Post by DerbyNut »

Hi Everyone,

Today I am working on the enclosure for my microwizard K1 assembled kit. In the web site is says:

NOTE: If you have less than 4 lanes, don't hook up the sensors for the lanes not in use.

Does this mean do not connect the sensors? Or just do not use them where they are aligned up? All of the sensors are soldered to the wires on the ribbons already and I was wanting to assemble it for more lanes incase I add more lanes to the track. Can I just cover the sensors with tape for the ones not being used? Just wondering how to disable them for now. I hate to cut the wires but can if I need for now.

Thanks!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Unused lanes for the K1 kit - question?

Post by Stan Pope »

DerbyNut wrote: NOTE: If you have less than 4 lanes, don't hook up the sensors for the lanes not in use.

Does this mean do not connect the sensors? Or just do not use them where they are aligned up?
In my experience with other kits, "hook up" means to make (physical) electrical connections. So the instructions say that there should be a break between the sensor and the electronics that interpret its output. The break can be at the sensor or at the other end of the wire.

With a less exact interpretation, it could mean to logically disable the operation but I think your kit source is better than to be so loose with the language.

If you can get info with direct experience with this kit, disregard this note! :)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I believe that you would not hook the unused sensor(s) up. You can always contact Micro Wizard and confirm.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
DerbyNut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyNut »

I'll double check with them. Our pack has the same K1 timer but was bought assembled in a case and it has all of the sensors for four lanes connected and we only use two of them.

Thanks
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

With any of the Fast Track timers, if you block a sensor from receiving any IR, the timer will ignore that lane altogether. Not connecting a sensor may have the very same effect.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

I built the "cheap-skate" version of the K1 and used 3 of the 4 lanes. Its easy in the monitor programs (and I suspect also in race management sofware) to blank out any unused lanes. Don't cut any wires, software handles it just fine.
DerbyNut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyNut »

Thanks quadad. Did you put the sensors at the bottom with the IR's above the track? I'm working on it now.

Thanks!
DerbyNut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyNut »

I just saw the picture of the kit in an enclosure and thats what they did.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

DerbyNut wrote:Did you put the sensors at the bottom with the IR's above the track? I'm working on it now.

Thanks!
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. My sensors are slightly recessed in the wooden track and the emitters are about 10" above. Used a little silicone to hold the sensors in place, but its a tight fit - that's what you want.
DerbyNut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyNut »

Your emitters are 10" above the track? I read on their site they need to be around 6" above so yesterday I just added the sides to the timer for it to be 6". Think that will work find? I just need to add the bottom piece with the sensors in it before I can test it. Hopefully I can do that tonight.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

DerbyNut - I went and measured my timer. It is around 10" to the top of my timer (which is what I was thinking of), but only about 7" between the emitters on top and the sensors in the track. I sent you some pictures to make up for the mis-direction. :thumbup:

Any more questions, let me know.