Race Master Timer and GPRM Software

Commercial timing systems
jason_bh
Apprentice
Apprentice

Race Master Timer and GPRM Software

Post by jason_bh »

I am having trouble trying to get our timer to work. It says that it is a Race Master (doesn't say IV). I tried connecting it to the software. The computer sees the USB adapter. The software sees the new COM port created when it is plugged in. However, I am unable to send test data to the timer.

First question: Is there a difference in Race Master and Race Master IV timers?
Second question: If so, does anyone know the settings that I could input into the GPRM software as an "Other Serial Timer" (Custom settings)?

Thanks
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Race Master Timer and GPRM Software

Post by gpraceman »

jason_bh wrote:First question: Is there a difference in Race Master and Race Master IV timers?
The RaceMaster IV timer will have a 9 pin serial port connector on the bottom of the lane sensor board. Earlier models did not have the serial interface.
jason_bh wrote:Second question: If so, does anyone know the settings that I could input into the GPRM software as an "Other Serial Timer" (Custom settings)?
Better to leave the software set on RaceMaster IV.

Communications problems can be due to a lot of issues.

Which version of GrandPrix Race Manager are you running? Please include the full version number (e.g. 9.0.1408.6).

What version of Windows are you running?

Have you run any of the serial port communications tests in the software's help file (Support -> Troubleshooting -> Serial Port Troubleshooting)?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
jason_bh
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jason_bh »

Thanks for the fast reply.

I do have a serial connection on the Race Master timer.

I am running version 9.0.1408.1 of Race Master on a Win7 64-bit version.

I have not run any of the serial port tests.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

jason_bh wrote:I am running version 9.0.1408.1
Not the latest, but close.
jason_bh wrote:Win7 64-bit version
Hopefully, the drivers for your USB to Serial Adapter supports that, especially the 64bit flavor.
jason_bh wrote:I have not run any of the serial port tests.
First, try running the "Paperclip Test" from the serial port troubleshooting section of the help file. That will tell you if things are working through the USB to Serial Adapter.

You can also give us a call and we can walk through the troubleshooting.
http://grandprix-software-central.com/contact_us.php
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
jason_bh
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jason_bh »

Thanks. I will try to do the paper clip test tonight. I'll let you know.

EDIT: Just an FYI, I bought the USB to Serial connector and Serial cable from the GPRM website. So it 'should' be compatible. ;)
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Here's also some info on USB to Serial Adpaters, that may help. Most communications problems relate to the drivers for these adapters (not installed, not fully installed, or don't support that version of Windows).

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2454
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

jason_bh wrote:EDIT: Just an FYI, I bought the USB to Serial connector and Serial cable from the GPRM website. So it 'should' be compatible. ;)
If needed, you can find the latest drivers for that adapter at
http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/s-2 ... ction=view
Randy Lisano

jason_bh
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jason_bh »

Downloaded the latest driver. I am thinking that I had the Vista driver installed. I had a folder called 26886-Vista when I downloaded previously. Hopefully that is my problem. I'll test it tonight at church.

*crosses fingers*
jason_bh
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jason_bh »

Did the Serial Port Communications Test under "Other Serial Timer" because RaceMaster wouldn't work. It passed with the following data after unplugging timer and plugging back in. The instructions say "do not need to go any further".

Here's the data from the timer:

[H[J JIT, Inc. Racemaster Software Copyright January 2002
Software Version 0.0 Hardware Version 0.0
Serial Port Functions:
D - Display Zero Page Memory,
V - Display Version and Help
L - Report Finish Results
to RS-232 Port
T - Perform Display Test All Pixels Enabled
O - Display Lane Order and State, LED Indicates Start Switch State
Q - Display Rotating Character Display Test
R - Restart Timing Sequence
F - Flash LED
S - S
tart Timing Sequence
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

jason_bh wrote:because RaceMaster wouldn't work.
Can you be more specific? Not seeing data coming into the Timer Data box? Software complains about "The timer communications check failed"? Data in Timer Data box but no times showing in lane boxes?

Did you try the Paperclip Test on the end of the USB to Serial Adapter? Did you repeat that test with the serial cable attached to the adapter?

While it seems from your last post that you can receive data from the timer, there may be an issue with the timer receiving anything from the computer. Doing the Paperclip Test on the end of the USB to Serial Adapter and then on the end of the serial cable will help determine if this is an adapter, cable or timer issue.
Randy Lisano

jason_bh
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jason_bh »

I tried the paper clip test on both the USB adapter and the serial cable itself. Both were successful in sending data.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

OK, but still missing some info.
Can you be more specific? Not seeing data coming into the Timer Data box? Software complains about "The timer communications check failed"? Data in Timer Data box but no times showing in lane boxes?
Randy Lisano

jason_bh
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jason_bh »

gpraceman wrote:OK, but still missing some info.
The software complains about the timer communications check failing. No data in the timer data box.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

OK, now I have a clearer picture.

Seems your timer is deaf. The timer can send data, but it is not receiving any commands that the software is sending it. The Paperclip Tests shows that the path to communicate to the timer is fine. At this point, you need to contact the timer manufacturer. If you need their contact info, let me know.
Randy Lisano

jason_bh
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jason_bh »

gpraceman wrote:OK, now I have a clearer picture.

Seems your timer is deaf. The timer can send data, but it is not receiving any commands that the software is sending it. The Paperclip Tests shows that the path to communicate to the timer is fine. At this point, you need to contact the timer manufacturer. If you need their contact info, let me know.

Thanks for the info. I do not have the contact info. Could you please post it? I'll contact them and see what they say. But the timer was purchased back in 2005. I may end up getting a new timer if this one doesn't work. Can you or anyone recommend a good but cheap timer that is compatible?