"Lane Brain" line judge issues

Commercial timing systems
fidoracing
Apprentice
Apprentice

"Lane Brain" line judge issues

Post by fidoracing »

The other night I helped a Cadets club with their pinewood derby. They have an older "Lane Brain" line judge, and it worked poorly at best. If the race was close, it would give the wrong order entirely, and some times it would just not pick up the cars at all. They were impressed with the GPRM software, so they are talking about whether to upgrade or to fix what they have.

First question is, does anyone have any information on these timers? A wiring schematic, owners manual, anything? I can't even find a manufacturer on a google search.

Second, anyone have any ideas on how to improve what they have?

Third, if they do upgrade, what is the best system to use, and whats the best for a good price?

Thanks!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "Lane Brain" line judge issues

Post by gpraceman »

I have only seen that timer sold and a few repair parts through the BSA. Though, looking on scoutstuff.org now, it looks like they no longer carry it.

I would think that the timer would have some markings on it with the manufacturer's name and phone number. According to Darin's website, the Lane Brain is made by Revelation Industries.

However, that timer doesn't have the capability to communicate with a computer. It is definitely nicer to have that interface and not have to manually enter the race results into the computer. So, they might want to check out the various timers available. The cost will really depend on what features they want. One manufacturer (Micro Wizard) offers their timers in kit form to save a bit of money. To save even more money, there are some DIY circuits posted at http://grandprix-race-central.com/modul ... page&pid=5.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.