LEDs on Microwizard K3 Timers

Commercial timing systems
davem
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

LEDs on Microwizard K3 Timers

Post by davem »

I was about to make an LED light bar for our K3 Microwizard timer...

And noticed that the K3 actually has LEDs under the timing bar. One for each lane / timer panel.
THey look like they are to shine light towards the sensors.

BUT - I cannot get them to turn on.
The Microwiz s/w doesn't offer that as an option.

I have emailed Microwiz tech support - but wondering if anyone else has a K3 and knows how to turn those LEDs on (if they are for lighting...and not there for fault detection).

Thanks,
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: LEDs on Microwizard K3 Timers

Post by FatSebastian »

davem wrote:And noticed that the K3 actually has LEDs under the timing bar. One for each lane / timer panel. THey look like they are to shine light towards the sensors. BUT - I cannot get them to turn on.
Are you talking about the infrared LED's? We have a K3 timer; It is the signal from those LED's that is interrupted by the car in order to stop the timer. I thought those LEDs stayed on all the time, but because they are infrared we just can't see the emission (like a TV remote control). I suppose you might test by covering them up and seeing if the timer changes behavior?
Duane
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Duane »

The LED emitters don't create a visible light, so they always look dark.
But their light does get seen by cheap digital cameras that lack good filtering of red versus infra red colors.
Try talking a picture of them with power on, with any available camera, and compare that to when power is off.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Duane wrote:But their light does get seen by cheap digital cameras that lack good filtering of red versus infra red colors.
Good idea, Duane. Our video camera has an IR mode that removes the IR filters and allows low-light / no-light imaging with its built-in IR light source. I'm sure the LEDs would shine like the Sun to a camera with an IR mode.
davem
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davem »

Thanks all.

MicroWiz tech support did confirm they were infrared and turn on when the unit is powered.

"Those LED's are infrared and they are on. You can see the infrared LED's glow in the viewfinder of a cellphone camera."