Microwizard Timer and GPRM

Commercial timing systems
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Microwizard Timer and GPRM

Post by *5 J's* »

Just finished our Pack race on a two lane track using a MicroWizard timer I built from the "cheap" kit and GPRM. Went quite well with the exception of a toggling event with the serial/USB adapter 1/3 of the way through the race. Anyway, our Pack is looking at purchasing a four lane 42' Besttrack and Microwizard Timer.

For the Microwizard Timer options I know I need the Serial Race Data option (PS) to send data to GPRM, but what about the other computer data options; Mask Lane, Reverse Lanes, Eliminator, Force Print, Reset Laser, CountDown clock. Are these recommended?

I will not be using the Laser so I know I don't need that option. I use the Countdown timer in GPRM so I don't need that displayed on the timer. I believe GPRM takes care of the the Force Print by setting the time for the slowest car to 9.999. I do not see a need to use Reverse Lane.

So I guess that leaves Mask Lane and Eliminator. I don't believe GPRM supports Eliminator (running concurrent two lane races on a four lane track). Not sure if I would ever use the Mark Lane function which allows you to mask unused lanes.

Thoughts?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Microwizard Timer and GPRM

Post by gpraceman »

*5 J's* wrote:Went quite well with the exception of a toggling event with the serial/USB adapter 1/3 of the way through the race.
Can you elaborate?
*5 J's* wrote:For the Microwizard Timer options I know I need the Serial Race Data option (PS) to send data to GPRM, but what about the other computer data options; Mask Lane, Reverse Lanes, Eliminator, Force Print, Reset Laser, CountDown clock. Are these recommended?
Mask Lanes - Useful if there is a Bye (empty lane) in the schedule. The software can tell the timer to ignore the Bye lane(s), so results will be reported when all other lanes finish. You can get Byes with some scheduling methods supported by GPRM.
Reverse Lanes - Not needed. GPRM manages that on its own.
Eliminator - Not supported by GPRM.
Force Print - Useful if a car doesn't finish. Press the Escape key on the computer's keyboard and that will have GPRM tell the timer to stop timing and send the results for the cars that did finish. Otherwise, the timer will sit and wait until you either cover that lane sensor or raise the start gate (if using the mechanical start switch). Cars that don't finish will receive the maximum time.
Reset Laser - Only needed if using their laser start sensor.
Countdown Clock - GPRM does have an Intermission timer that you can display to the audience, but GPRM will also tell the timer to display the countdown as well, so you get two visual sources.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

gpraceman wrote:
*5 J's* wrote:Went quite well with the exception of a toggling event with the serial/USB adapter 1/3 of the way through the race.
Can you elaborate?
About 1/3 of the way through the racing we rec'd a message saying something along the lines that the port had been removed then another popup stating that the port had been added. We rec'd about a 8-10 of these popups in a matter of seconds. I cleared them all but it had locked up the computer, leaving the Start Race button RED. This required a reboot of the computer to overcome. I'm not sure what caused the toggling, and I had never seen it using the same computer and timer on my test track at home.

On another note, I also use a solenoid start gate triggered by GPRM. I noted that is you need to rerun a race that it triggers immediately after you click yes to backup the database. That was a bit of a surprise. :D
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

One other thing I noted. Whenever I first turn everything on the start switch, timer, and GPRM are out of sequence. I have to open and close the start switch then run my had under the timer to get everything back into sync. Not a big issue, but wasn't sure if there was a way I could force a restart to the timer through the software.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

*5 J's* wrote:About 1/3 of the way through the racing we rec'd a message saying something along the lines that the port had been removed then another popup stating that the port had been added. We rec'd about a 8-10 of these popups in a matter of seconds. I cleared them all but it had locked up the computer, leaving the Start Race button RED. This required a reboot of the computer to overcome. I'm not sure what caused the toggling, and I had never seen it using the same computer and timer on my test track at home.
The software will let you know if a port connection has been lost and when it has been restored. Windows basically tells the software of these port changes. Why there were so many in a short amount a time is unusual. I would make sure that the USB port that you are using is not "loosey goosey". If you jiggle the end of the adapter plugged into the computer, there should not be a loss of connection to the timer (GPRM should not report the loss of the port).
*5 J's* wrote:On another note, I also use a solenoid start gate triggered by GPRM. I noted that is you need to rerun a race that it triggers immediately after you click yes to backup the database. That was a bit of a surprise. :D
When rerunning a race, the software will ask you to confirm that you want to wipe out the existing results. If you confirm, it will continue on with the normal sequence of getting itself and the timer ready for the heat. That would include triggering a solenoid gate, if interfaced with the software. Just make sure to hold off on clicking on the Rerun Heat button until you are actually ready to release the cars.
*5 J's* wrote:One other thing I noted. Whenever I first turn everything on the start switch, timer, and GPRM are out of sequence. I have to open and close the start switch then run my had under the timer to get everything back into sync. Not a big issue, but wasn't sure if there was a way I could force a restart to the timer through the software.
That is strange. I haven't had other reports of that. I make it a habit of turning on the timer and then running my hand over each lane sensor to make sure that the timer is displaying properly. On a few occasions the infrared emitters in the timer bridge have gotten bent out of alignment with the sensors, so this test will help see if I have that problem. After that, I test the communication to timer with GPRM.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

gpraceman wrote:
*5 J's* wrote:About 1/3 of the way through the racing we rec'd a message saying something along the lines that the port had been removed then another popup stating that the port had been added. We rec'd about a 8-10 of these popups in a matter of seconds. I cleared them all but it had locked up the computer, leaving the Start Race button RED. This required a reboot of the computer to overcome. I'm not sure what caused the toggling, and I had never seen it using the same computer and timer on my test track at home.
The software will let you know if a port connection has been lost and when it has been restored. Windows basically tells the software of these port changes. Why there were so many in a short amount a time is unusual. I would make sure that the USB port that you are using is not "loosey goosey". If you jiggle the end of the adapter plugged into the computer, there should not be a loss of connection to the timer (GPRM should not report the loss of the port).
Yes, I intend to check out. The laptop is only four weeks old. I was going to change USB ports when this occurred, but believe this assigns a different COM port which would have necessitated changes within GPRM. No huge deal, but with 50 scouts and 100 parents in attendance I didn't want to change too much at once.
gpraceman wrote:
*5 J's* wrote:On another note, I also use a solenoid start gate triggered by GPRM. I noted that is you need to rerun a race that it triggers immediately after you click yes to backup the database. That was a bit of a surprise. :D
When rerunning a race, the software will ask you to confirm that you want to wipe out the existing results. If you confirm, it will continue on with the normal sequence of getting itself and the timer ready for the heat. That would include triggering a solenoid gate, if interfaced with the software. Just make sure to hold off on clicking on the Rerun Heat button until you are actually ready to release the cars.
Yes, after we had the surprise the first time we waited until the cars were restaged prior to clicking the Rerun Heat, typing YES, and finally clicking yes to the backup.
gpraceman wrote:
*5 J's* wrote:One other thing I noted. Whenever I first turn everything on the start switch, timer, and GPRM are out of sequence. I have to open and close the start switch then run my had under the timer to get everything back into sync. Not a big issue, but wasn't sure if there was a way I could force a restart to the timer through the software.
That is strange. I haven't had other reports of that. I make it a habit of turning on the timer and then running my hand over each lane sensor to make sure that the timer is displaying properly. On a few occasions the infrared emitters in the timer bridge have gotten bent out of alignment with the sensors, so this test will help see if I have that problem. After that, I test the communication to timer with GPRM.
I don't have the exact sequence to sync everything back up figured out, but I know it involves cycling the start switch and running my hands underneath the timer. If I don't go through this sequence Run Heat button stays yellow after the the first cars down go down. I then cycle thee start switch and run my hands under the each lane sensor.

I'm going to check the USB port as well as the sequence to resync the timer with the software this weekend and will report.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

Wow, with 50 scouts and just a 2-lane track, how long did that take ???
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

quadad wrote:Wow, with 50 scouts and just a 2-lane track, how long did that take ???
2 hours of racing. 44 racers each ran six times (3 times each lane) for a total of 132 races. Each took approximately 1 minute run. We took a 1/2 hour lunch break in the middle to sell some food and make a few $$.

Registration 9:30 - 11:00
Opening 11-11:15
Racing 11:15 - 12:15
Lunch 12:15 - 12:45
Racing 12:45 - 1:45
Awards 1:45 - 2:15.