Wireless timer connection

Discussions on buying or building timers, solenoid start gates, light trees, weigh scales, and other race related electronics.
asatxj
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Wireless timer connection

Post by asatxj » Sun May 03, 2015 6:35 am

I've had several people ask if there is a way to make the connection between the timer and the computer wireless (they were willing to help fund it). Is there a way to do such a thing?

Awana Commander
Jeep Fleet Maintenance Director
Dad
Bowhunter
I can't break the rules, I write them
!

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wireless timer connection

Post by gpraceman » Sun May 03, 2015 4:49 pm

You can with a Bluetooth device plugged into the timer's computer port and a dongle plugged into the computer. I've tested such a setup but had occasional drops in communication. I certainly would not want that to happen during a race. A wired connection will always be the most dependable.

Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.

asatxj
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Wireless timer connection

Post by asatxj » Mon May 04, 2015 5:56 am

gpraceman wrote:You can with a Bluetooth device plugged into the timer's computer port and a dongle plugged into the computer. I've tested such a setup but had occasional drops in communication. I certainly would not want that to happen during a race. A wired connection will always be the most dependable.
Pretty much what I was thinking. I've got a longer rs232 cable and just need a cable to cable adapter and I'll be okay for next season.

Awana Commander
Jeep Fleet Maintenance Director
Dad
Bowhunter
I can't break the rules, I write them
!