"No response received from timer" after one heat...HELP!

Commercial timing systems
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "No response received from timer" after one heat...HELP!

Post by gpraceman »

You've got me confused as well.

If the paperclip test passes in both cases and you get timer data at least, then that should rule out issues with the adapter and serial cable. The two way communications highway is not the issue.

So, when the timer stops responding to commands, try sending the RS command and LR (reset) command to see if you see any response in the Hardware Settings screen. The reset command should also cause the timer display to reset.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

RS and LR sent. Nothing back from timer.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

After starting up the software and going to the Hardware Settings screen, is the timer already connected and powered up? It should be before the software first tries to communicate with the timer.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

If you are asking if the timer is connected and powered up when I start GPRM and go into the Hardware screen, yes.
I had some more E-mails with Stuart. I think based on the paperclip test it may be a timer hardware issue. I want to run the test with FUNterm, but it will not allow me to type commands. Not sure if this is part of the problem, or user error.
It is also very odd that in the second to last race in my test heats (all 4 race heats) the issue does not happen. I can run race 3 and 4 without the timer acting up. I must restart after heat 1 and heat 2 though...
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

It would be good to see if you can replicate the issue without using GPRM. I haven't used FUNterm, so I cannot help you there. Hopefully, it has a help file that you can refer to.
Randy Lisano

race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

If I power the timer down and back up AFTER I open the hardware tab, I get the RS information sent to the Timer Data box as seen below.
It seems to me the timer is sending data, but will not receive or acknowledge anything GPRM sends it.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

The only other problem that I can think of right now is a loose connection that is somehow only intermittently affecting the serial wire that the timer receives data on (Pin 3). Check the adapter to serial cable and serial cable to timer connections carefully to see if there is anything loose.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

That error notice indicates that the software was unable to get two way communications with the timer. That is normal for P model timers, as they only support one way communications (cannot receive commands from the computer, only send data to the computer). K model timers support two way communications, so they should be able to receive commands and send data to the computer.

If we are not able to resolve the problem before your race, there is a way that you can setup the Custom Timer interface to work with that timer as a workaround. I can give you the info for that setup, if needed, assuming you are running the Pro version of GPRM.
Randy Lisano

race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

Well I figured out the FUNterm echo test. I must have pins 2 and 3 jumpered to type. (a piece of 3/32 aluminum tubing bent in a U makes a good jumper).
When I hit enter, all that happens is the cursor moves to the beginning of the line. In my 3AM stupor last night it did not dawn on me that this was the echo back. Getting echo through all the way to timer connection of serial cable. Waiting to hear back from Stuart.

This has been one major investment of time....
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

Yes, I do have the pro version, but hopefully it does not come to that.

I had a computer programmer friend come over with Hyperterminal and some serial communication diagnostic tools. He confirmed that we are sending and receiving all the way through the serial cable.
For some reason the timer is not able to receive commands form the PC. We sent an E-mail to Stuart last night, waiting on a reply. I am guessing I will be sending the timer in for diagnostic work and hopefully repair.

Today I am sending pictures to Best Track about the two section of track that were dented in shipping and hopefully getting those replaced. Fun fun fun!
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

Micro Wizard will be repairing the timer free of charge. Thanks for all the help. Timer gets put in the main Monday.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Glad to hear that they will be taking care of it.

I assume that it is simply a connection issue on the back of the DB9 connector. If so, a bit of resoldering should take care of it. You could always unscrew that connector from the frame to see if you can see anything obviously wrong with the wire connections.
Randy Lisano

race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

I was hoping it was the DB9 as well, that was the first thing we took apart when my buddy was here. The back of the connector solder joints are clean, solid and full. Will be interested to hear what the issue was once Stuart gets it.
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

Randy,
Stuart received the timer, and has sent me this message so far:
"I can't find anything wrong. I will keep testing, but right now it is sending and receiving data."

Is it possible for you and he to communicate further on this? I have asked if he is using GPRM 15. Hopefully we can get something figured out wit the timer in his shop, if not I may have him ship it to you for testing. Also, if you would rather continue this dialog via E-mail rather than here just let me know.
Thanks
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Did you also ship him your adapter and serial cable for his testing?
Randy Lisano