"No response received from timer" after one heat...HELP!

Commercial timing systems
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: "No response received from timer" after one heat...HELP!

Post by race#67 »

Where are we leaning on this? Should I uninstall and reinstall software? From CD or from Web? Do you think the timer is causing the issue? Would a video be of any help? This is starting to concern me.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

What happens when all lanes finish? What happens when a lane doesn't finish and then you press the Escape key? Results should post.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

When all lanes finish, results of that heat post, and about 14 seconds after the finish the "No response received from timer" Error Dialog box pops up. Just before this happens the timer cells turn red, and then turn grey. It is as if it starts to initialize the timer ready sequence, but fails. I will post a video.
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

OK, here is a video.

https://youtu.be/
For clarity, the start solenoid does not interface with the timer software at all. It is powered by a separate 12 volt DC power supply and triggered by a discreet push button only.
When I return to the screen and it flashes red I did not hit escape or touch the computer. I just came back to wait for it to show the error, which is always 17 seconds after gate release.
In the options screen under racing I have the following selections checked:
~Auto Heat Advance
~Hand Free Timing
~Control External Apps
~Display Results by Finish Order
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

First, I would recommend testing without using the solenoid at all, to rule out an EMI issue. Make sure it is powered down.

I was misunderstanding the problem. Results are posting fine, it is just an issue with the software readying the timer for the next heat. That is curious. If you clear that error and then hit Ready Timer, what happens?

What is your Auto Heat Advance Delay set at?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

I get that dialog box twice. I close both and hit ready timer, and the box comes up twice again. Closing out of GPRM completely and restarting allows me one run before it happens again.
I will try with solenoid wall wart unplugged and report back.
Auto Heat Advance is set to 10 seconds.
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

Same behavior with solenoid unplugged.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I hooked up my timer again and was not able to reproduce that problem.

Does the button area on the Racing screen turn green when the gate is dropped? I can't tell from your video.

What happens at the beginning of each heat, is that the software will send out the reset command to the timer. The timer should acknowledge that it received it, within a reasonable amount of time. If not, you will see that error notice. I am wondering if you are getting two way communication as you should, or if there is an issue with the timer receiving commands from the software. Try this test. In the Hardware Settings screen, if you send the RS command to the timer, do you get a response back? The timer should respond with the timer's serial number.

In the log, you should see data like below (from my testing with my timer) when the software readies the timer. I am not seeing those "Timer Responded Back" responses to the commands in your log file. So, it appears that your timer is either not receiving commands from the software or isn't responding back as it should.

Code: Select all

Time: 12/30/2015 09:39:51:44 PM  Sent LaneMaskReset Command: 'MG'
App: GrandPrix  Version: 15.0.901.13
Timer: FastTrack  Port: COM1

Time: 12/30/2015 09:39:51:99 PM  Timer Responded Back:
MG<cr><lf>
AC

--------------------------------------------->>
Time: 12/30/2015 09:39:51:99 PM  Sent Reset Command: 'LR'

Time: 12/30/2015 09:39:52:54 PM  Timer Responded Back:
LR<cr><lf>
*<cr><lf>
@

--------------------------------------------->>
Time: 12/30/2015 09:39:52:54 PM  Sent StartGateStatus Command: 'RG'

Time: 12/30/2015 09:39:53:09 PM  Timer Responded Back:
RG1<cr><lf>

Time: 12/30/2015 09:39:53:09 PM  Waiting for race results
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

With the issue narrowed down, there is some other troubleshooting that you can do to help find the root cause.

In the Troubleshooting section of the software's help file (Troubleshooting -> USB and Serial Port Troubleshooting -> Serial Port Communications Tests), run the "Paperclip Test". Assuming that you are using a USB to Serial Adapter, first do this test on the serial end of the adapter. If that test succeeds then it isn't an issue with the adapter. If so, then attach the serial cable to the end of the adapter and retest at the end of the serial cable. Report back with those results.
Randy Lisano

race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

When I look at the log form December 2nd, I have lines saying "timer responded back". I do not have that after that date.
I send RS to the timer, the log shows it being sent, but nothing returned.
It appears the timer will send data to GPRM, but will not receive it.
Can you help me communicate this to Stuart at Micro Wizard? I am afraid this timer may need sent back.
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

OK, I will run that test. It is the serial adapter and serial cable provided with the K2 I am using.
I do now recall the timer status flashing green at one point. I never see green now, just red, yellow or grey.
I sent your post in an email to Stuart and copied you on your Hotmail account. I will do the paperclip test now.
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

Paperclip test passed. I sent and "Testing 12" and it showed up in the Timer Data field.
I did just the serial adapter, then tried to do the entire cable but got nothing. I was excited thinking I had a bad serial cable. I shut down GPRM and restarted it, then I was able to communicate with the adapter and the cable.
Last edited by race#67 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Was that at the end of the adapter? If so, add the serial cable and retest at the end that would connect to the timer.
Randy Lisano

race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

Sorry, I edited above post, but should add here.

Step one, tested USB to serial adapter, test worked.
Step two, plugged in serial cable to USB to serial adapter, unplugged other end of cable from timer. Data sent, but did not appear in "Timer Data" I was happy, thinking bad serial cable.
I recalled that I only get one send or test from the software before I need to shut down. I shut it down, powered it back up, and then the serial cable connected to the USB Serial Adapter passed.

Still confused.
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

I started it up again, never connected to the timer. I could run multiple test from the USB to serial then the serial and communicated in all cases.